Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?

Author Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
05/11/2007 5:29 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone advise me on whether it's safe to moor a drop-keel C-22 for any length of time in salt water? We're finding the launch and recovery process a bit stressful from our local ramp (which is very busy), and are thinking of mooring it locally.

I imagine that the main issues are protecting the hull from marine growth and water damage (osmosis etc.), and keeping the keel and keel cable in good condition.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can you recommend a hull paint or anti-fouling product and a method of inspecting the keel and cable?

Thanks for any input!

John Wheeler
Serene II - Boomaroo 22 (Australian C-22)
Sydney, Australia
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
05/29/2007 1:58 AM Pacific Time

The Catalina 22 owner's manual doesn't recommend it, but we have plenty of these boats doing it out here in California, mine included.

I just bought the boat a couple of months ago, but the previous owner had it in salt water for at least 2 years. And I believe the owner before him had it salt water for many more years as well.

The only issues I could find after I hauled it out was the hull had several small (less than 1/4") blisters just below the waterline and a handfull along the bottom. I simply sanded these off and didn't notice any pitting or damage of the laminate (simple cosmetic gel-coat blisters, I surmised).

I also went and installed a small zinc onto the keel near the swing pin. I'll see how this thing fairs when I take the boat out this fall for another look. I did notice a bit of play with the keel rocking side to side while in the "up" position, but my understanding is that's normal. Apparently the swing pin is a bit smaller in diameter than the hole it passes through. Anyhow, with the keel lock screwed in, the keel doesn't rock, shift, or thump at all (dubious relief).

Finally, the yard that bottom painted the boat said everything looked fine to them and never called me to recommend "additional work". That was another relief.

So I guess Catalina 22's with swing keels can live comfortably in salt water so long as a few precautions are taken. Remember, the absolute best place for a boat, from a maintenance stand point, is in a warm dry climate controlled clean room. ;-)
Jeffrey Lahm
St Petersburg, FL

Boat Name: Southern Air

Model/Year: Ctalina 22/ 1982

Hull No. 10692

Hailing Port: St Petersburg, FL
03/31/2009 10:29 AM Pacific Time

How much weight would a C22 mooring need to hold fast. I live in West coast Florida and I am seeing a lot of boats mooring in little coves everywhere.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
04/01/2009 2:47 PM Pacific Time

I have used what west marine calls a land anchor before I swtiched to a slip. It screws into the bottom. It worked well for many years. I used a chain that was 7 times the depth of mean high water and attached a swivel connector between the chain and mooring pendant. The only problem I ever had was chafing of the lines to the bow cleats.
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
04/02/2009 7:06 PM Pacific Time

I have kept my Catalina 22 in salt water on a mooring here in Puget Sound for the last 5 years. I pull the boat every winter and power wash the bottom. In the spring I power wash again, repaint the bottom, check the winch cable and connections for the keel and I'm good to go for another summer season.

So far the boat seems to have held up well and I haven't had any problems. I could probably get by painting the bottom every two years.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
04/03/2009 7:43 AM Pacific Time

It just occurred to me that possibly the water temperature (very cold to almost 'warm', could have a lot to do w/the growth or lack of growth of 'ugly' things on the hull.
Only a guess.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/12/2009 4:43 AM Pacific Time

I keep Chip Ahoy on a moorning in Salem Harbor (Mass.) all season -- May through October. I've done this since 2003 with no significant problems. I must keep its swing keel up to avoid grounding at low tide. I've done considerable work to its keel, but due to normal wear and tear and previoius lack of maintenance. I have its bottom repainted usually every year, two at the most.

See extensive details at:

http://chipford.com

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?