Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / CD Swim ladder installation question

Author CD Swim ladder installation question
Glenn Phillips
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Boat Name: Barely-A-Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1974

Hull No. 3699

Hailing Port: Spanish, Ontario
05/17/2007 8:26 PM Pacific Time

On the starboard side bracket, where I have drilled the holes through the hull, I noticed that there is a gap of about 3/16" between the inner and outer hull fiberglass. Does this space have to be filled to prevent movement and surface cracking? I am using an aluminum backer plate 1/4" thick by 6" high and 18" long which has been formed to match the curve of the stern.

Thanks.

Glenn
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
05/18/2007 6:45 AM Pacific Time

Hi Glenn,
With that aluminum plate, it sounds pretty sturdy.
I know that the fiberglass should be failry thick in this area on both the cockpit and the stern transom but with that small distance between them, I think that I would be tempted to try to put a spacer of some sort in that area so that the cockpit fiberglass doesn't flex too far and crack the gelcoat. Maybe something could be pushed up from underneath near the two fastening areas that is just about thick enough for support.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / CD Swim ladder installation question