Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / C22 broken cable

Author C22 broken cable
JB

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/19/2007 11:58 AM Pacific Time

Hit stump in lake and keel bounced snapping cable. Plan to replace cable in water from below with Scuba tanks. Any experience out there on ease of threading the cable aft of the turning ball from below i.e. how will I know the cable is correctly positioned inside tube short of hauling out? (lake water levels too low for next several months to use ramps)

Thanks, JB
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/21/2007 9:52 AM Pacific Time

Well, I'd either hang a light above the volcano so that you have some light up the tube to see from below or use a mirror and light from above after you are back on deck. Remember to put the cable aft of the turning ball.
gary wilson
buhl,al

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: tuscalooa,al
09/03/2007 7:26 PM Pacific Time

can i replace the keel cable while the boat is on the trailer? if yes what is the easiest way to do this.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
09/05/2007 6:16 AM Pacific Time

You should be able to reach the part of the keel that has the cable attachment from underneath. If not, you may need to jack up the stern of the boat a bit. This can be donw with finding something to support the transom. So that you can lower the tongue jack. Place the support underneath and then raise the tongue jack again. You shouldn't need to raise the boat more than a few inches. Make sure that you support is sturdy. Then remove the old ends of the cable from the winch and keel. Attach the end to the keel and snake it up so that the cable goes behind (Astern) the turning ball. Be careful.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / C22 broken cable