Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / I can't get my rudder back up

Author I can't get my rudder back up
karen hill
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

Boat Name: Gram's Gift

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Sport

Hull No. 15601

Hailing Port: Dewey Beach, Delaware
06/29/2007 11:16 AM Pacific Time

This is a new boat for me. I had a tough time getting the rudder straight down, and now that it is, I can't get it up. Any suggestions?
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/01/2007 12:14 AM Pacific Time

Hmmm, what kind of rudder do you have??? Does it have 2 pintles (downward pointing metal pins) on the rudder that drop straight down into the gudgeons (brackets with holes in them) or do you have one of those fancy "kick up" rudders????

If the former, an obvious "duh" would be to check that the retainer ring, pin, etc. has been removed from the top pintle so the rudder can be pulled up. Otherwise, it must be jammed in there somehow. Does the rudder still move side-to-side or is it siezed in place (no movement at all)??? Although I haven't done it to myself, YET, I imagine just one pintle could pop out of its gudgeon canting the rudder slightly to one side and jamming it laterally.

Take another look and let me know.
karen hill
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

Boat Name: Gram's Gift

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Sport

Hull No. 15601

Hailing Port: Dewey Beach, Delaware
07/03/2007 2:03 PM Pacific Time

I guess it was just new and stiff. The rudder is moving up just fine now - a shallow bay at low tide certainly helped that out! It's still a bear pulling up on that little dinky line they supply you with, though. Thanks for your input.
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/03/2007 10:45 PM Pacific Time

Instead of hoisting up with some little line, I've seen some people install a handle on the thing. Yes, the same kind of handle you would put on a barn or tool shed door. I would do the same thing, but my rudder stays wet since our tide never gets low enough.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / I can't get my rudder back up