Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Stuck Wheel and Brake Line

Author Stuck Wheel and Brake Line
Alan

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/14/2007 11:42 PM Pacific Time

I keep my C22 in a club on a Trailrite twin axle trailer. I am in a coastal area – slat water.

I have two problems. Often when I start puling my trailer one of the wheels is stuck and drags. Until now I have been able to get it unstuck by going forwards and reverse few times and then there is a clung sound when the wheel gets unstuck. I am afraid that one day it just wont work any more. What could be the problem and how to deal with it?

The other problem is the brake line connection. Although I clean it in fresh water every time and use WD40 it is getting rusty (funny thing for what looks like a bronze fitting). The fitting is fairly simple clip on but is getting harder and harder to connect and disconnect. I would use some grease but I am afraid that if I use it on the inside it may block the oil flow. Any suggestions?

Alan
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/15/2007 10:38 AM Pacific Time

>>>"unstuck by going forwards and reverse few times and then there is a clung sound"<<<

Just off the top of my head, it sounds like the brake pads (shoe and drum, correct??) on that wheel are sticking to the drum until you rock it enough to break it free. This is a common problem with brake shoes, especially if the brake is held engaged for a long time.

The best thing to do is rebuild the brake, i.e., new shoes, springs, and wheel cylinder. But try a good cleaning first. Use brake cleaner (in a spray can) and a basin to catch the run off. NO COMPRESSED AIR. If the drum won't come off, try tapping the drum with a mallet, but place a block of wood between the hammer and the drum so you're not hitting it directly (they could break). Here's more help getting that drum off http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/brakes/bt105.htm

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Alan

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/15/2007 7:10 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Mitch,

I am not very experienced with car/trailer maintenance but I'll try to work it out. I'm not sure when I'll have time to do it. I'll let you know when the time comes.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Stuck Wheel and Brake Line