Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Catalina 22 Rudder weight

Author Catalina 22 Rudder weight
Marsha Duggan
Lacombe, Alberta Canada

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/03/2007 8:55 AM Pacific Time

I am an very novice older female sailor wanting to be independent of my husbands assistance each time I want to sail. My limitation is specifically the weight of the rudder which currently has to be taken on and off each time. I have no desire to be a speed demon, just love being on the water in light winds.

Is there a rudder which is either much lighter or a type of rudder that does not have to be removed when mooring?
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
08/13/2007 12:50 AM Pacific Time

Hey Marsha, I'm not so sure you have to remove the rudder every time if you're mooring it. Many sailors in my harbor (including me) leave the rudder attached, with a coat of anti-fouling paint, of course. Every 2 weeks or so, I brush the thin algae growth off.
Steve Ott
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Boat Name: Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 6798

Hailing Port: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
01/12/2008 9:41 PM Pacific Time

Maybe get a swing rudder that can kick up?
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Boat Name: High Maintenance

Model/Year: C-22/1973

Hull No. 2902

Hailing Port: Lake Arlington Yacht Club
02/10/2008 6:57 AM Pacific Time

Marsha,
I, too, am an older female and initially had lots of trouble getting my rudder in place. No husband, so I had to learn how to drag the rudder from the cabin to the transom. I put the rudder in the walk way in the cabin after sailing ( Be sure to put the tiller end toward the V-berth, so that it is ready to come aft toward the stern) and then, when ready to sail again, holding the rudder while standing in the cockpit, pull it up it to the cockpit seat, and while it seats there, I guide it and then insert it under the main traveler and push it out until I have it in place put it in the gudeons. I have torn a couple of tendons in my elbow when I first started; however, now I am very careful in positioning everything in a line so I am only partially lifting the rudder. At first, I was told repeatedly to tie something on to prevent loosing it, which I did until I finally got to the point that I could handle it. I know sailing solo will come to a close and I dread it like a plague. I race and have crew if the wind is over 15mph, but I try to do all the rigging, because Ihave learned so much more about the boat. I wish I could have started younger, but I got here as fast as I could and approaching 60 is coming too fast. That is why I sail every week and try to never miss the chance to be on the boat.
Be careful with your tasks on the boat. Work smart. This year I have had several serious injuries because I am determined to do this stuff and I am learning that I often cut my nose to spite my face. The guys are more than happy to help me, but I hate to bother them when they, too are trying to get their boats in the water.
Hope you continue sailing. It is my peace, adventure, and happiness.

Lynn Van Hooser
High Maintanence

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Catalina 22 Rudder weight