Anchoring

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Anchor Roller

Author Anchor Roller
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
02/23/2004 7:37 PM Pacific Time

Catalina Direct part # D2070 looks great for me. Does anyone have experience with it. We bought our boat last summer and will be anchoring this summer. It looks like a great idea and simple for handling the #20 anchor.

Since the 1985 does not have a anchor locker, we are planning to keep it on the roller and try some of the suggestions about storing the rode in a pale or other container.
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
02/23/2004 10:11 PM Pacific Time

Yes. It looks good to me too, but it's far to spendy for me to bother with. I just tie a bridle in the rode to center it on the bow. There are good concise tips for doing this in the Westmarine catalog and probably a host of other places.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
02/24/2004 6:44 AM Pacific Time

I bought & installed the roller last year, a easy fit with no drilling. It is hard to reset the forestay plate but only took an hour with help on the outside to re-bed the unit.

I hang the anchor on some stainless swivel clips on the bow pulpit & have my rope run to the aft compartment so I can use the sheet winch to raise the anchor & have motor control.

I looked at other rollers all would have had to be modified drilled & slotted to work. The CD model was easy & saved money in the end.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Tom Kiernan
Suisun, Calif

Boat Name: Aint She Sweet

Model/Year: C22/92

Hull No. 15262

Hailing Port: Richmond/SF Bay
02/27/2004 4:26 PM Pacific Time

Hi Bob,
I mounted the anchor roller about a year ago and really like it. Drop the hook along the side of the bow pulpet, hand feed the chain, then go back to the cockpit while the rode feeds out over the roller. I did have to make a small modification to it. I've got a CDI furler and found inserting the quick-release clevis pin to the bow chainplate almost impossible when stepping the mast. So I cut two 1" access holes on either side of the roller bracket and now have a much easier time of attaching the forestay.
Hope that helps,
Tom
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
02/27/2004 10:41 PM Pacific Time

Tom,

The 1" holes are an interesting addition. I'd love to see a photo of your modification and chat with you more in person. Perhaps we can make the change to a future production run of anchor rollers. Give me a call at your convenience at Catalina Direct, 1-800-959-7245

Thanks,

Lowell
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
02/28/2004 1:48 PM Pacific Time

Lowell,

I will be purchasing a anchor roller from you next month or early April. If you get the picture of the 1" hole and it looks good to you, I hope you will make the modification. Stepping the mast has been a bit of a challenge for me last season. (first time owner) without the roller.

Thanks,

Rich Reisner (first inquiry above)
Dan Healy
Farmingdale NY

Boat Name: Aurora

Model/Year: 1985/86

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Copaigue LI
02/03/2006 5:15 PM Pacific Time

I would like to install an anchor roller on my C22 but am concerned that the flukes of my anchor will hit the prow when I raise it and store it on the roller. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/04/2006 4:06 AM Pacific Time

Dan, I installed a CD anchor roller on "Chip Ahoy" in 2004, primarily to get my old Danforth off the deck and give the new Delta Fast-Set a place of its own out of the way. See:

Upgrade, Repair, Restoration and Refinishing Projects
http://www.chipford.com/projects.htm

Scroll down to and click on:
"Danforth Anchor Chocks -- a failed idea!"

Scroll down to and click on:
"Installing an Anchor Roller"

I love the roller. The only problem I've had with it is on my mooring with the anchor secured on the roller. When the boat swings, the mooring line to my bow catches the very tip of the Delta and it doesn't take much working back and forth to bend the retaining "quick release" pin that I installed through the anchor's shank. I replaced the pin once (had to hammer it out), and have learned to tie the anchor up to the bow rail when on a mooring. I tie it up when mooring, secure it to the roller when casting off. All the details can be found on the above links.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Dan Healy
Farmingdale NY

Boat Name: Aurora

Model/Year: 1985/86

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Copaigue LI
02/18/2006 1:16 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Chip for the advise. I will be ordering the roller this spring along with a fORTRESS X7 anchor and will let you know how I make out with it.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
02/28/2006 9:30 PM Pacific Time

I just recommended the CD anchor roller to someone here in Australia, and wonder, after looking at Chip Ford's photos again, how the chain doesn't damage or compromise the forestay turnbuckle. I've got visions of chain rattling down alongside the turnbuckle and damaging or ripping out the clevis pin, holding the cotter pin to the turnbuckle, then losing the rig. Anybody have any concerns there?

Paul
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
03/02/2006 8:39 AM Pacific Time

Anchor off the stern. It's easier.

I think an anchor roller is a great Idea for when you really need the anchor on the bow. Rough weather, strong wind, etc.

For the rest of the time, I anchor off the stern. Think about it. You are going forward. Throw the anchor off the stern and continue forward until it sets while you are in the cockpit in control of the vessel.

The anchor can be hung from the stern rail or stowed in a cockpit locker.

If you need to have the bow into the wind, take the line forward after the anchor is set and sails etc are secured, and put it over that nice bow roller.

Another approach is to have a line led aft that's already attached to the stem (maybe the bow eye) with a loop or shackle on the end. Tie your anchor rode to this bow line and let it out so the bow is to the wind.

I have used this method on my C27 and my C22 and it works great. Most of the time I'm stern to the breeze in calm weather and glad for the ventilation.
chris Dube
mansfield Texas

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Joe Pool Lake.
03/30/2008 10:20 AM Pacific Time

We have added a CD roller to our boat. Its a great little unit, the only problem we had with it is the two front holes didn't line up. They were about 1/4" off. That was an easy fix though. We also added a stainless boom bail to it, to keep the anchor off of the bow. Without the boom bail the anchor would pivet off of the pin and allow the anchor to drop down and hit the bow.

This setup works awsome for us.
here is a link to pics..

http://www.gypsygirlc22.com/html/anchor_setup.html

Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
03/09/2010 11:41 AM Pacific Time

I picked up a tip on here, and adjusted it to better fit my needs, for anchoring.

I run the anchor rode on the out side of my life line supports, through the forward cleat, take the rode again out side the supports back to the cockpit, laying the anchor on the aft cockpit floor. This allowes me to deploy the anchor, let line out or retreve line from the cockpit. Then once the anchor is set, I will use the winch to direct the rope to the jib cleat.

If I am over nighting I manually throw my second anchor off the bow at a 45 and tie it off to the 1st anchor rode. Then, in the cockpit I let the rode out to about a 6:1 and cleat the road off at the aft cleat for more security.

This has worked very well in an emergency for me. Also, if my girl friend can't budge the anchor and won't drive (in a tight area), then I can still stear with my legs and retreave the anchor till it breaks loose for her.
Jeff Sabuda
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Ms Sable

Model/Year: Catalina 27 1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
04/11/2010 8:01 PM Pacific Time

I have an '81 Catalina 22 with a little locker at the tip of the bow. Is there anyone out there who has a deck pipe so that the anchor rode and chain can be fed down into that locker from topsides? I currently have 150' of 1/2" rode and 25' of chain stored in it, so I know it fits. (see http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b...m/kitty/webad/ for a picture of the little locker).

If so, where is the deck pipe placed? I don't want to cut a 3" hole in my deck only to find that it's in the way of storing the anchor shank or something else I didn't think of. Like the deck disintegrating from too many holes at the bow. Yes, I installed the reinforcement turnbuckle between the forestay and the stem.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a drain in the bottom of the locker. Why would there be a locker there if it weren't for the rode? Ah, life is full of mysteries.

I've been storing the ground tackle in the lazarette and setting the anchor from the cockpit, which has worked just fine, except that I am destroying the rubrail by hauling the chain back up over it. The new bow roller will solve that, but I'd really like to store everything up front--if I can just figure out the deck pipe placement.
Jeff Sabuda
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Ms Sable

Model/Year: Catalina 27 1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
04/11/2010 8:01 PM Pacific Time

I have an '81 Catalina 22 with a little locker at the tip of the bow. Is there anyone out there who has a deck pipe so that the anchor rode and chain can be fed down into that locker from topsides? I currently have 150' of 1/2" rode and 25' of chain stored in it, so I know it fits. (see http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b...m/kitty/webad/ for a picture of the little locker).

If so, where is the deck pipe placed? I don't want to cut a 3" hole in my deck only to find that it's in the way of storing the anchor shank or something else I didn't think of. Like the deck disintegrating from too many holes at the bow. Yes, I installed the reinforcement turnbuckle between the forestay and the stem.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a drain in the bottom of the locker. Why would there be a locker there if it weren't for the rode? Ah, life is full of mysteries.

I've been storing the ground tackle in the lazarette and setting the anchor from the cockpit, which has worked just fine, except that I am destroying the rubrail by hauling the chain back up over it. The new bow roller will solve that, but I'd really like to store everything up front--if I can just figure out the deck pipe placement.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
04/18/2010 5:07 AM Pacific Time

I wouldn't install a deck pipe unless the compartment is deep. The rode will need to settle on its own. I honistly would not make the change. I thought about doing that same mod into the forward compartment on my C22. I think it would snag the rode on to much stuff and just be to much of a pain.

I like to loop my anchor rode from the cockpit to the bow cleat and then bring the anchor back to the cockpit. This allows me to deploy the anchor from the cockpit but retreave at the bow. I still lean out so not to hit the boat with the anchor.

The bow anchor locker looks small in pics, is it? If so thats prob why there isn't a drain. You could easily add one if you feel you need it.
Andrea Johnson
NY

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / '81

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Watkins Glen
09/03/2013 1:38 PM Pacific Time

Hi - Has anyone tried using a Bruce anchor with this roller? A fellow sailor is selling me his 16.5lb Bruce anchor at a very reasonable price; it's a little oversized, but will work much better than my 8lb Danforth. Just wondering if the roller in CD will work with this anchor. Thanks!

Anchoring
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Anchor Roller