Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Getting tossed around in the channel....help!

Author Getting tossed around in the channel....help!
Jeff Nash
New Buffalo, Michigan

Boat Name: Decien

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1981

Hull No. MC 0888 TC

Hailing Port: St. Joseph Michigan
09/30/2007 7:17 PM Pacific Time

I am a rookie sailor and have a Catalina 22. As many of you know, she has a swing keel and no ballast. On several occasions I have motored out the channel heading out from my berth into lower Lake Michigan and even on nice not so windy days I have been tossed around like a cork by 1-2 foot swells and my passengers beg me to turn back and it ruins a day of sailing and, I admit, I too get nervouse. Is there a risk of capsizing or should I just push thru? I see other sailboats and even smaller motor boats get thru it ok. Am I being too quickly discouraged? Usually the lake looks fine, but the last 200 meters of the channel sometimes sends me into 5-10 degree lists that feel scarey.
Matt Cristantello
Buffalo, NY

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/03/2007 3:15 PM Pacific Time

Hi,

I don't actually have a Cat-22, but I'd like to someday. I've been out on one a few times, and I know that we were at no risk of capsizing at a 10-15% heel with the keel down. If you have the keel up, the boat will probably behave differently, so try putting it down if you can. If you look around the rest of the forums here about the seaworthiness of the Cat-22 and it recovering from a complete knockdown, I wouldn't worry about bouncing in the waves as long as your keel is locked down.

Hope this helps,
~Matt
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
10/03/2007 7:27 PM Pacific Time

Hi I sympathize with you but concur with Matt.
These boats sail with best speed at about 15 degrees heel.

Drop your keel down and she won't roll around nearly so much.

Study up on how to set your sails to protect yourself from heeling too far and controlling the power of your boat. Having some sail up may slow down the rolling aspect so that all you do is go up and down.
You may want to try raising one sail at a time, reef the main with or without the jib up or just raise the jib. She'll go even if both sails aren't up.

Try going out when the winds are less. Mornings are usually better for less wind but not always. Watch the weather reports too. They are not always 100% accurate with respect to wind speed gusting and direction.

As for what the boat can take?
Close your hatches and lockers to any waves or possible knockdowns and wear your life jackets. It takes a lot to sink a C22 but it can be done.
Keep asking around at the forums for sailing information.
For fun, Read these logs here from the guy who sails up by Mackinaw...
http://www.c22region10.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=12

Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
10/04/2007 9:57 AM Pacific Time

Ahoy
I would suggest motoring out with the Jib sail up especially with a 110 jib. If you have a Genny then you will wan to experiment with how much to let out. The jib will keep her nose down and cut through the roll. Adjust your outboard speed to mastch the jib and it will be a smoother ride.

Vernon
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
10/04/2007 10:02 AM Pacific Time

Also you might be able to adjust your outboard angle on the motor mount itself to help push the bow down more. It might be a small difference but combinations of fixes are what work the best. Just don't over due it and bury the bow.

God luck and better sailing

Vernon
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
10/05/2007 1:34 AM Pacific Time

Not sure what you mean by the Catalina 22 not having any ballast. That swing keel weighs 550 lbs. and will keep you upright easily provided you have it in the down position. You are sailing with it down, aren't you???

There are only 3 times I raise my keel:

1. To load it onto the trailer
2. To clear shallow water (like my slip at low tide)
3. After running aground.

Otherwise, that sucker should be down, even at the dock or at anchor while anyone is onboard because that big heavy piece of steel stabilizes the boat.

I've been heeled up in the neighborhood of 30 degrees in my Cat 22 and lived to tell about it, although heel angles from 10-15 degrees probably give you the best performance.

Some tips for dealing with heel:

- Place as many crew/guests as you can on the windward side of the boat. Their weight counters the boat's heel and places their body's higher up away from the water.

- Brace yourself by placing your feet on the opposite side wall of the cockpit's sole.

- Hold the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other. You can do the following when a strong puff tilts you good:

1. Turn the boat into the wind. This will cause the sails to begin luffing thereby de-powering the boat. After you lose a little speed and the boat rights itself, fall back and get into the game again. Continually steering on the edge of luff is called feathering.

2. If you get really scared (been there), you can release the mainsheet and spill your wind. Some people ease the traveler to do this, but I like the stoutness of the mainsheet over that wimpy little traveler. Note: Once you ease the sheet, the boat will nearly pop upright, but then your jib will start to take over, so get that mainsheet back in and start sailing again right away. With practice, you'll learn not to simply let the mainsheet fly, but simply ease it a foot or two (doesn't take much).

3. Lean back as the boat heels over. Probably doesn't do much since the small shift in weight doesn't increase the righting moment significantly, but it seems to make me more comfortable. :-)

4. If after all this, you still feel out of control, you can reef the sails, heave to, or drop the sails and drift under "bare poles".

5. Remember simple human psychology, i.e., frequency and exposure to an anxious situation WITHOUT consequence creates comfort and familiarity when a similar situation repeats. Translation for sailing: The more time you spend heeling and NOT dying, the more heeling you can handle!

Have fun.

Jeff Nash
New Buffalo, Michigan

Boat Name: Decien

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1981

Hull No. MC 0888 TC

Hailing Port: St. Joseph Michigan
10/08/2007 8:50 AM Pacific Time

Thanks everyone...very helpful, and you're right Mitch. A keel IS ballast, I guess I meant water in lower ballast tanks. Im still new enough that I didnt realize that the keel is so heavy it is also ballast, very much so. And guess what...I did NOT have it locked down all the way. Silly me, I thought 5 cranks was doing it....WRONG! As for having the sails up? Since there was no wind to speak of on this day, it was all just roiling channel water bouncing off each of the two walls, I didnt know if putting sails up would help. Again, good advice everyone, thanks.
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
10/08/2007 9:35 AM Pacific Time

Hey Jeff. Yes, 5 cranks of the keel winch isn't going to do it! ;-)

You have to keep lowering the thing until the handle itself winds right off the shaft. Then stow the handle somewhere safe. I found a rubber cap at an auto parts store to cover the steel stud. You can just make it out on my web page if you look closely: http://www.kronowit.com/sailing/electrical.html

As far as rolling seas and little to no wind??? That's SoCal waters in the summer. It's very aggravating watching your mast head whip through the air as the boat gets 99% of its motion from the swells and 1% from the wind. On days like that, I contemplate putting up the "For Sale" sign as soon as I return to the dock. ;-)

I don't think having the sails up when you're "in irons" is a bad idea. Even though it probably has limited effect, the sails probably dampen the rolling motion of the boat by acting as large wind brakes. However, the real reason to keep them up is so they're ready when a little breeze starts blowing. If you have your sails down, the breeze will probably be gone by the time you raise sail.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
02/09/2010 4:45 PM Pacific Time

I just took my C-22 from the Florida Bay to Atlantic via the Moser channel last week. The next day after a nice overnight at Money Key we battled 4 foot seas and the boat can definatly take more than we can. We ended up dropping the jib and motor sailing with the main. Although, my boat is still not set up right, I would say you shouldnt be getting tossed around that much.

I could use some help trying to figure out why my C-22 likes to run when uncommanded. Anyone have any tips? P.S. Keel is free and lowers nicely.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
02/10/2010 6:50 AM Pacific Time

The C22 has weatherhelm by design. When you try to sail with just the main the weatherhelm is multiplied because the rig is off balance. I have a CDI furler with a 135. When the wind is up I usually leave the main covered and sail with the 135 only. I can furl the sail down to keep the boat more level and it helps balance the trim making the steering much easier. Leaving some sail out help keep the boat from rocking so much in large waves. Northern Gulf Coast Cruise May 8-14 Ft.Walton to Bear Point Marina and back. Go to the national website for more info.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
02/19/2010 3:38 AM Pacific Time

I get that she has weatherhelm, and by my understanding that means she should turn into the wind when uncomanded. But, after ttalking to a friend I may not have the keel all the way down. He said that the C22 will easily run if the keel is not all the way down.

Funny story, when we were out in those 4 foot seas the forstay pin broke. I about had a heart failure! I laid on the deck fighting to use the jib hardware to provide a temporary fix to buy time to go below and find a new pin. With the new pin in hand, I used every bit of strength I had to install it and after about 2 exhausting hours I fixed it. I never want to see my jib hanked on and come flying into the cockpit again... Big O' S--- moment.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
02/23/2010 12:06 PM Pacific Time

Thats a good story. I had similiar with a forward stay I had forgotten to put a ring in. I fought a while until someone yelled to release the back stay. Then I had enough slack to pin it without a strain. Just a thought on the keel down thing. One of the "racing" boats that had its keel redone could not get it to go down all the way. They lifted the whole boat and found the keel was now to wide at the top.
There have been others that keep there boat in the water for long periods that had the same problem due to barnicle buildup. The barnicles grew on top of the keel out of sight and reach for cleaning. I guess it doesn't take much to fill the gap between the keel and trunk. Just something to keep in mind. I found out how fast barnicles grow on the NGCC in May. Within a week the bottom was like #1 sand paper and the boat was slow as Christmas.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Getting tossed around in the channel....help!