Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / STEPPING THE MAST

Author STEPPING THE MAST
Glenn Hardesty
Winter Haven, FL

Boat Name: Catalina 22

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Henry
10/08/2007 6:36 PM Pacific Time

I have a devil of a time every time I have to take down or put up the mast on my catalina 22. Do you have any ideas or equipment that would help? Thank You!!
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
10/11/2007 4:47 AM Pacific Time

I built a set-up very similar to this and my 10 year old can raise the mast even in a breeze without struggling. The beauty of tis is that you can stop raising the mast at any time and check the lines both running and standing to make sure there are no tangles. I built my gin pole out of a 2"x4"x6" piece. Here is a site that will explain some of the process and fixtures http://members.tripod.com/c22fleet77/id81.htmThere is another site that describes building the gin pole out of 2x4 but I can't find it right now.
Google "gin pole" and mast raising system for Catalina 22" you"ll find lots of good information as well as a business that sells the system. CD sells a mast support that extends located in the place of the rudder, again I built my own with some square tube one size slightly smaller that the other and then fabed up a u out of some metal to hole the mast in place when traveling. It cost me about $25 to built and it is strong and extends enough to raise the mast high enough that if I were in a real hurry I would just finish stepping by hand. I like the gin pole and bridle system best easy, controlled and safe for me and the boat.
Hope some of this rabble helps, good luck

Vernon
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
10/11/2007 7:14 PM Pacific Time

Glenn-

Here is an idea that you can use that may be easy to implement, that I learned from C22 sailor Mike Bracket. It does not require any additional equipment..exept your boat trailer.

An easy way to raise the mast is to use your trailer bow winch. With the boat on trailer, and still secured, give the trailer winch strap plenty of slack and connect the winch strap to your forward halyard. Make sure your halyard can not be raised or lower. And route the strap through your bow pulpit, not above it. Also, the forward halyard should not touch the bottom of the mast for this to be most effective.

As one person mans the trailer winch and cranks in the trailer winch strap that is now connected to the forward halyard, the other person can raise the mast. And once it is up, the trailer winch strap keeps the mast up while you connect the forestay. When done, disconnect the trailer winch strap from the forward halyard.

The benefit with this method is that it takes off a lot of pressure from the person raising the mast in the event they need to re-establish their footing. Keeping tension between the forward halyard while connected to the trailer winch strap is important. This method of raising the mast will give you some peace of mind that you most likely will NOT drop the mast by accident if you need to pause for a few seconds.

And if you are sailing by yourself, you only need to find a passer-by who can easily crank the handle on the trailer winch to help you raise the mast...that's it.

For lowering the mast, just reverse the above process.

There are many other methods to raise/lower the mast. Overtime, you will find one that you are most comfortable with.

Good luck,

Rich Fox
SeDepecher #15582
Westfield/Indianapolis, IN

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / STEPPING THE MAST