Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Keeping the starboard bulkhead wood on . .

Author Keeping the starboard bulkhead wood on . .
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
10/16/2007 10:03 AM Pacific Time

The person I bought my '81 C-22 from put turnbuckles from the shrouds down to metal straps on the two bulkheads. I left them, because they serve to stabilize the shrouds. But just lately, I noticed that the bolts in the starboard bulkhead had mostly unscrewed and in one case, bent so that the bulkhead pulled away from the top fiberglas of the boat.

I have since bought new bolts and installed them with aircraft nut backups so they shouldn't come out again. This brought the bulkhead almost back up to the fiberglas. (The fiberglas does not seem bowed or distorted there.) I also made sure the turnbuckles are just barely taut, not pulling. Has anyone had this experience with the bulkhead? Is it okay to leave this the way it is or is there too much stress and something's gonna give?
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
10/16/2007 11:14 PM Pacific Time

Hey Nancy, can you post some photos on the web so we can see what's going on??? Just off the top of my head, it sounds like someone added some extra bracing from the shrouds to the main bulkhead and pulled it out of place!!! I hope I'm wrong, but the structural integrity of the boat must now be significantly compromised. The main bulkhead should be bonded to the hull to provide a solid anchor for the chainplates (unless Catalina builds the 22 differently).
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

10/18/2007 10:32 AM Pacific Time

I'll get pictures this weekend and find somewhere to post them.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

10/21/2007 7:20 PM Pacific Time

I've posted pictures in Photos at the Yahoo Group Catalina Sails. Had to join the group to do it. I don't have a website to upload photos otherwise.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Keeping the starboard bulkhead wood on . .