Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bottom Paint

Author Bottom Paint
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/24/2004 6:03 AM Pacific Time

I know there has been a lot of discussion on bottom paint over the years. I thought I'd relate something interesting to the group about a manufacdturer.

I have been using Pettit Ultima S/R for may years and have been happy with it. Last season I stripped the bottom and applied three coats of the product on the bottom after using their Pettit Prodtect barrier coat. I did it early in the season, so temperature was not a factor in overcuring of the barrier coat prior to putting the bottom coat on.

When I took the boat out of the water in November I was really pleased with the way the bottom looked. No barnacles, and only a minimum of dirt deposit. Two weeks later I noticed that the paint was beginning to flake off.

At the Atlantic City boat show I talked with the owner of the company. He expressed concern about the problem I discussed. He said he would come and take a look. My thought was "Yeah, Right!!"

Well yesterday he came by the house and looked at the boat. Was I ever surprised? He poked, prodded and scraped.

The upshot of this deal is that he is going to send me enough paint to redo the bottom. He wants me to get back with him next fall to see how it went.

I certainly will contimue to use their products.

Now there's someone who stands by his product.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/26/2004 6:14 AM Pacific Time

Wow, that's pretty cool. Really speaks volumes about the company and their committment to TQM. But, you are still stuck with a bum paint job.

Hopefully, you this time it will last you a few years.

Robert

Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
02/26/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Time

I've used Pettit's Hydrocoat and really like it. It has Teflon in it and some 600=1000 grit sandpaper to clean it before a regatta results in a pretty fast hull.

It's very easy to work with since it is water based.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bottom Paint