Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Trailer "Pads" instead of "Bunks"

Author Trailer "Pads" instead of "Bunks"
Ole RB
33.6583N 82.2185W

Boat Name: "Water Toy"

Model/Year: 1990 - WK

Hull No. 15110

Hailing Port: Lake Thurmond GA
11/10/2007 2:03 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone gone the pad route instead of rollers or bunks for their C22?

Do you think the boat would "float off" easier with the pads; especially a "wing keel" boat.

What would be the "con" argument to this idea?

One "pro" for this idea would be easier bottom painting!

What say you guys/gals?
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
11/11/2007 9:14 AM Pacific Time

The wing keel has positive weight on the center rail of the trailer. The bunks steady the boat and also supports some of the total weight. The boat must be floated enough to lift the keel off the bottom board so I believe that bunks or pads would not make much difference in this regard. You would also need many pads to keep the hull supported evenly so as not to deform. More uprights, more connectors, more adjustments and higher cost for dubious benefits in my opinion.
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
11/11/2007 3:03 PM Pacific Time

My trailer has two bunks, each made from 2x6 lumber sbout 10 feet long covered with the material that West Mrine sells for that application. The trailer supports impart a curve that matches the shape of the hull very well. The water has to be deep enough to float the boat high eough to slide off. No problem for my launch site. Also no problem denting the hull.

Austin Cooley
Wings of the Morning
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Boat Name: Summer Breeze

Model/Year: C 22/1988 fin keel

Hull No. 14333

Hailing Port: Lake Tillery, NC
10/18/2009 8:10 PM Pacific Time

So what is the verdict?
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
10/19/2009 11:08 AM Pacific Time

You've heard the arguments pro and con. You have to make the final decision for yourself!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/19/2009 11:37 AM Pacific Time

Most boats with fixed keels, rest the keel and a majority of the boats weight on the keel support, vs. the opposite swing keels where the weight is on the bunks or pads. Also in launching, the pads and rollers for a fixed keel boat make it easier to launch, vs. bunks, which curve up and take more water to clear the boat. In my Humble Opinion, if I had a fixed keel (which I did, a C22 wing and C25 wing) I would use rollers which are more expensive, distribute the weight, but make a world of difference in launching and retrieving if you plan to trailer sail. For a fixed keel my second choice would be pads, and third would be bunks for trailer sailing. If it was just annual storage/yard trailer I'd go with the cheaper pads for the fixed keel and bunks for the swing keel (better for weight distribution). Just my two cents worth.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Trailer "Pads" instead of "Bunks"