Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / ADCO 6 winch

Author ADCO 6 winch
Billy Fender
Lexington, SC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22, 1981

Hull No. 10081

Hailing Port: Lake Murray, Columbia, SC
11/12/2007 4:03 PM Pacific Time

My "new to me" 81 Cat 22 has ADCO 6 winches. I can't find any info on how to disassemble or remove them. The one on the port side has broken off at the Boot (I guess that's what it is called). Anyhow, can't figure out how to disassemble it, or where to even get replacecment parts. Can anyone give me some guidance on where to look?

thx
billy
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
11/12/2007 5:29 PM Pacific Time

Do you mean Arco 6? My '82 had Arco 6 winches until I replaced them recently.

Here;s a link to what they look like inside:
http://www.main.org/catalina22/Catalina22Winches.htm

Disassembly is easy. Just work the clip ring off the top by slipping a small screwdriver or knife blade under the end and work it out of the groove as you go around. Once that's off you just pull the cap and the drum up and off. Be careful none of the internal parts fall overboard. The base remains attached to the cockpit coaming.

I still have my old winches. They are missing one spring and a pawl and I could not find parts quick enough so I replaced them with some Lewmar winches (same bolt pattern!). Let me know if you need parts as I am more than willing to send them to you; springs, pawls, washers, base, drum, whatever. You're welcome to them.
Billy Fender
Lexington, SC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22, 1981

Hull No. 10081

Hailing Port: Lake Murray, Columbia, SC
11/12/2007 5:52 PM Pacific Time

Paul, thanks for the help. I was able to get the thing taken apart, and yep, the spindle base that screws into the deck is broken. I would be happy to pay you for this part if you have one. Please email me at [email protected] with price, info, etc.

thanks

billy
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
11/12/2007 9:53 PM Pacific Time

Billy,

I'll email you. I'll send you one of my old winches; just send me a check for the postage.

Paul
Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Boat Name: Lo" Key

Model/Year: 22 catalina/1984

Hull No. 12227

Hailing Port: Space Coast
11/13/2007 10:27 PM Pacific Time

wy 86
Dan Scherer
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Wind Player

Model/Year: swing keel

Hull No. 4444

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
04/26/2008 3:52 PM Pacific Time

I am in need of an arco winch. Dp you still have one available with a good base?
Dan

dscherer1966 AT yahoo.com

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / ADCO 6 winch