Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / placement of tiller lock box

Author placement of tiller lock box
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/06/2007 8:17 PM Pacific Time

I want to install a Forespar tiller lock box in my cockpit. My question is where is the ideal place (from just behind the coaming compartment to the transom) to install it?

One the one hand, if installed fore of the cockpit hatches, the latter can be opened while the tiller is locked. But if installed farther aft, then presumably a greater range of motion is possible given a minimum length of the tiller extendion, and the lateral torque on the tiller is less (since it is closer to the pivot point at the rudder).

Thoughts? Advice?
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
12/07/2007 7:03 AM Pacific Time

I have an alternative for you if you have a stern pulpit. From your request, I assume you have a tiller extension. A friend took a short section of PVC and slotted it on the side. He then strapped it to the forward most rail of his stern pulpit just above the base. It is positioned such that the handle from the tiller extension slides into the slot the same as the lock you are asking about would work. It is cheaper to install and requires no holes in the boat. If you decide later that you don't like it, just take it off.

Bob
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/07/2007 10:43 AM Pacific Time

Thanks!

I also realized after I made the post that the tiller extension also serves the purpose of extending the tiller (duh), hence the answer to my own question would be that you'd want to place it forward to allow for a longer effective tiller length.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
12/07/2007 8:26 PM Pacific Time

I have the tiller lock box installed on the starboard side square to the tiller swivel point. I put it on that side so I could access the motor on the port side side without having to undo the thing when I am warming up the motor and am still on the mooring. Some people use two boxes, one on each side.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / placement of tiller lock box