Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Sailing book\DVD, from newbie Catalina 22 owner

Author Sailing book\DVD, from newbie Catalina 22 owner
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 22' swing, 1973

Hull No. 2241

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
12/10/2007 12:12 PM Pacific Time

I have been sailing small sailboats for years and the Catalina 22 I bought last fall is my first “real” sailboat. I was able to take it out once before the weather got cold (just using the mainsail) and had no problems maneuvering around (what a great day!) I want to learn more about sail shaping, mast adjusting and how to get the most of the wind (tell tales etc). I bought the book “Fundamentals of Sailing” by Gary Jobson, but this is way too “fundamental”.

Can anyone recommend a good book or DVD that gets into these subjects?

Btw, I just love all the information on this site as well as other Catalina 22 sites…esp Chip Ford’s site. However, Chips’ site is pretty scary when you look at what he has “sunk” into his “Chip Ahoy”.

It’s going to be a long winter, I just can’t wait to get back out sailing again!

Thanks!

Dave Cole
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
12/10/2007 2:09 PM Pacific Time

My suggestion is The Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere... 3rd addition. It is dated as far as electronics go, but from a sailing stand point very good. Peter

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/11/2007 7:05 AM Pacific Time

Hi Dave,

For the 22, a few things to know to put whatever you learn in the books into perspective.

The boat sails best at 10 to 15 degrees over when going to windward. Adjust sail trim with that objective. Mainsail should be pretty flat for going to the wind. If you do not have an adjustable backstay, that means putting a permanent bend in the mast so that the main halyard is 2 to 3 inches from the mast at the point it passes the spreaders, and keeping the foot fairly tight. the boat will be just a tad slower off the wind, but much better on the wind. If you have an adjustable backtay, then you can go from flat to round easily.

Same on the headsail. When you find the correct fairlead location for your forsail, you just move the car back to "flatten" the forsail (moves effort lower in the sail and dumps air out of the top) as the wind climbs, again just keeping the boat relatively flat, until it is time to go to a smaller headsail.

Hope you have fun in the boat!

Tom
7555 Quixotic on the Chesapeake
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
12/11/2007 7:48 AM Pacific Time

On Netflix, there's a nice selection of sailing instructional DVDs. I watched them all a couple of years back. They won't really teach you how to sail (gotta be on the water to do that), but they are fun to watch. John Rousmaniere has a couple of videos that were especially informative.
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Hull No. 2241

12/11/2007 8:10 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Tom,

I assume that most of my sailing will be close-hauled as I will be hovering the coast powered by sea breezes. I did think the mainsail should be as flat as possible for this, but in the book it referenced airplane wings\lift to the dynamics of sailing so I was thinking there maybe something to having a curve in the sail such as an airplane wing. So if it is as simple as just trying to catch as much wind with a flat as possible sail while keeping it 15% or less, then I should be all set with that. I do have a marine grade block and tackle that I can use as a boom vang, but actually the sail seemed pretty flat as it was. And of course balance the two sails to keep tiller pressure down.

Besides learning how to rig the boat, the hardest part has been learning all the terms! When I first started reading these posts, it was like it was a different language!

Thanks Peter and Paul,

I will check them out. Yes, the DVDs may help me get through the winter.

P.S.
Just so people don’t get scared with me being a “newbie”, I am not a newbie to boating, safety and navigation, just “real sailboats”.

Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Hull No. 2241

12/11/2007 8:26 AM Pacific Time

I just discovered that these DVD's are available on Netfix!
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
12/11/2007 8:41 AM Pacific Time

Dave,
I will recommend, The Sail Trim Users Guide by Don Guillette, this by far is the easyest to read, clearest, with out all the usuall theory that just adds confusion. Wife and I had NEVER sailed 10 years ago when we bought our C-22, over the winter we watched many DVD's and read several books, by spring we took Her out alone with just the foresail the first day, sailed for 3-4 hours, what a rush!
Stan & Sal Hullett
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
12/11/2007 2:47 PM Pacific Time

Dave, Chip's site is very informative indeed! I go to used book stores and buy a lot of sailing books, plus I hit every sail makers site to get as much info as possible on tuning, and sail shape. Another great site is www.c22pdx.org. Also, ask around and find a fellow sailor to chat with, and to go sailing with you. I just lost a sailing friend, Captain Al, to cancer this year, but the knowledge that he gave me last year, and before he died, was unmeasurable in building up my confidence. Jay
Joel
New Lenox, IL

Boat Name: C-Dog

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH8427M781

Hailing Port: Varies
12/18/2019 12:02 AM Pacific Time

I love to read books and now I have a big collection of the old books and I want to sell those. I don't want to waste those and that's why I am trying to sail those. Well, I was looking for someone to do my assignment for me and I discover this while searching for this. Do you know any other service which can help me with this? I will be very thankful to you.
AdrianaDMahone
newyork,newyork

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/18/2019 12:02 AM Pacific Time

I love to read books and now I have a big collection of the old books and I want to sell those. I don't want to waste those and that's why I am trying to sail those. Well, I was looking for someone to do my assignment for me and I discover this while searching for this. Do you know any other service which can help me with this? I will be very thankful to you.
Rita Fleming
Syracuse

Boat Name: Flame

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/31/2021 1:24 AM Pacific Time

It is very nice of you to share the tips for the newbies. It is not an easy job to be a freshman in college as well. Here is a tip for the student in need of writing help https://essaysempire.com/buy-pre-written-essay.html
John W Davis
Willis, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 270LE / 1994

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe
03/31/2021 1:24 AM Pacific Time

It is very nice of you to share the tips for the newbies. It is not an easy job to be a freshman in college as well. Here is a tip for the student in need of writing help https://essaysempire.com/buy-pre-written-essay.html

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Sailing book\DVD, from newbie Catalina 22 owner