Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Launching/Retrieving a Wing Keel?

Author Launching/Retrieving a Wing Keel?
Bajaman
Hemet, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1990 Wing

Hull No. 15155

Hailing Port: San Diego/Los Angeles, CA
12/30/2007 10:27 PM Pacific Time

I am getting ready to launch/retrieve my new to me wing keel. I have a few questions about the process. Since it is my first time I was considering using my extend a tongue to its full length for launch and retrieval, just to be sure I get boat deep enough.

1. As I back down and see boat beginning to float, can I either walk boat off trailer using docking lines and walking along dock, or be in boat before launch and start engine and place in reverse (my engine is brand new -this will be first time fired up-so I don't know exactly how she'll run)?

2. During retrieval I will back down trailer to as close to the position/depth as trailer was during launch. Since trailer will be fairly deep (tongue extension), how does one get to winch and strap and connect to bow eye and begin cranking boat up to bow stop? I am assuming the winch would at about a 2' depth of water if one had to wade into water.

3. Once strap is connected to bow eye and boat is cranked in to bow stop, is it ready to be pulled out by tow vehicle? Any other security measures?

Thanks!

Tony Pacaro
Lansdale, PA

Boat Name: Provolone

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No. 14733

Hailing Port: Quakertown, PA
12/31/2007 7:50 AM Pacific Time

I have a wing keel that I trailer regularly, and launch and retrieve single-handed. Here's what I do:

1. Tie long (25-30 ft) lines to the bow and stern mooring cleats. For the stern cleat, tie to the cleat on the side that the launch ramp dock is on. Coil both lines onto the trailer winch post so you can get to them after backing trailer down the ramp.

2. Extend trailer tongue fully.

3. Back trailer into water until the boat floats off the trailer bunks. I use a minivan, and my exhaust has to be under water at our ramp to make sure the trailer is sumberged far enough. If your ramp area is steeper, you may not have to back down this far.

4. Uncoil the bow and stern lines and walk them down the launch ramp dock and tie-off to dock cleats. Now your boat will not blow away if there is any wind.

5. Loosen trailer winch cable and disconnect. If you have the trailer far enough in the water, you should be able to push the boat off the bunks. I do this with one hand.

6. Guide the boat away from the trailer using the dock lines and tie off tight to the dock. That's it!

7. Retrieval is the reverse of the above. Always make sure the wind direction pushes the boat into the dock. It's a real pain trying to guide the boat onto the trailer while holding it back while the wind is trying to push away from the dock!

8. If the trailer is far enough in the water, you can float the boat gently onto the trailer bunks to within 12-18 inches of the winch bow stop. You can easily reach the bow eye to connect the winch cable.

9. Using the winch, pull the boat onto the trailer until snug to the bow stop. For safe measure, I always tie a second line from the bow eye to the winch post just in case Murphy's Law strikes as you pull the boat out of the water.

10. I would not recommend trying to motor on and off the trailer. This works for power boats, but I have not seen it done successfully with a sailboat.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
12/31/2007 8:57 PM Pacific Time

I usually do all the things mentioned previously but I stop just before the the eye bolt reaches the water and disconnect the winch strap. This avoids climbing out over the water to do this job. I then slowly back up until she floats. If my wife is handling the lines, I hit the brakes sharply at this point and the momentum carries the boat off the trailer. She then ties up to the dock. I would add that you definitely should not try to motor off, the prop might hit bottom plus it is not necessary. When retrieving your boat, you probably will have to climb out on the trailer tongue to avoid wading out in the water to set the winch strap to the bow eye. Wading is dangerous as ramps can get very slippery. Some people build a platform onto the trailer tongue for this purpose.
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
01/01/2008 5:29 AM Pacific Time

Bajaman, Tony and Howard are right on. That's how I do my wing keel as well. It's not a good idea in using the motor, really no need. You'll find that floating the boat off the trailer, and walking it down the dock, to tie it off, is pretty easy. I keep the motor high on the bracket, and turned off. Have fun with the boat, and good luck. Please keep us posted on how you do. Jay
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/02/2008 6:45 AM Pacific Time

Hello:

I agree with everything said above except that when retrieving the boat we always have the wind blowing OFF the dock. That way we can play out the dock lines (allowing the boat to float slightly away from the dock) and get the boat lined up appropriately with the trailer.

Best wishes, Philip & Sharon
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
01/03/2008 3:04 AM Pacific Time

Welcome back Philp and Sharon. I believe you two were on a extended cruise, how was it? Sorry to change the header on this post. Jay
Bajaman
Hemet, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1990 Wing

Hull No. 15155

Hailing Port: San Diego/Los Angeles, CA
01/03/2008 7:38 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the great tips.

Questsions: I like the idea about disconnecting winch strap from bow eye just before boat is too far to reach without wading into water. When retrieving, one would either have to wade out into water (can be slippery as mentioned) or climb out on a 12' long 2 1/2 " wide trailer tongue. Which is the worst of two potentially injury causing accidents?

Also, my local lake ramp is steep and long (about 60 yards of all incline!). Can/will this be a problem with my 12' tongue extension fully extended? I haven't looked at the set up when fully extended but I am sure it is very loooong when extended!

Thanks!
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
01/03/2008 11:35 AM Pacific Time

I have a swing keel and I usually disconnect the bow strap at the top of the ramp. I'm pretty certain the boat won't slide off the back of the trailer on it's own given the curve of the bunks. For retrieving, I release about 2 feet of the winch strap before I head down the ramp and lay the hook on the winch support. I back the trailer in until the forward end of the bunk is just poking above the water. Then I use the dock lines to move the boat to the trailer. The aft one provides the forward motion and the front steers. With the bunks just out of the water, it acts like a brake to prevent the boat from crashing into the winch tower, etc. This puts the bow about 1' from the bow chock. I hop from the dock to the boat, go forward to the pulpit, hop over to the winch tower and crank it in the last foot. Works like a charm for my setup!
Hope that helps or fuels a workable idea for you!
David
Tom Kiernan
Suisun, Calif

Boat Name: Aint She Sweet

Model/Year: C22/92

Hull No. 15262

Hailing Port: Richmond/SF Bay
01/04/2008 8:55 AM Pacific Time

All good advice. One other caution to be aware of is if the boat ramp is too steep and/or the trailer submerged too deep. That can cause the wing keel to get hung up on the trailer's keel guide rails. On launching, the boat won't slide off the trailer. On retrieving, it will sit on top that structure and lay over about 20 degrees when you pull out. Depending on the design, it might not be a problem with a non-DHL mfg trailer.
Tom ex S/V Aint She Sweet
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
01/05/2008 9:58 AM Pacific Time

One problem that I noticed when using my tongue extension is that if the ramp is really steep then the tongue drags when the trailer tires start down the ramp. So far, this has only rubbed off a little paint on the underside of the extension. There seems to be enough play in my setup to mitigate any possible damage. My tongue extension has a ball mounted about two feet from the back end and then a couple of straps with threaded rod that holds the back end up against the trailer. This puts the extension about 4 5 inches lower than the trailer itself which compounds this problem. If your extension slides out of the trailer itself, please remember to keep this lubricated with waterproof grease to keep it from rusting in place.

Greg

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Launching/Retrieving a Wing Keel?