Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Tller Extension Placement

Author Tller Extension Placement
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 / 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Joe Pool Lake
01/05/2008 8:22 PM Pacific Time

For Christmas I received the CD 27" to 48" Tiller Extension. I was wondering where other C22 sailors had mounted theirs along the tiller. I was thinking it should be placed a couple of inches further back (towards the rudder) than my hand usually rests on the tiller. That would place the center of the mounting hole about 7" back from the forward tip of the tiller. I don't want to bore a hole and THEN learn there was a good reason for mounting it elsewhere!

Thanks!

Joe

Ps: The extension is made by Forespar and you can get additional mounts from other marine dealers. I have 2 tillers, one with a Tiller Tamer and one without, and this allows me to use the extension on either one. I use the Tamer when I race solo.
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Boat Name: High Maintenance

Model/Year: C-22/1973

Hull No. 2902

Hailing Port: Lake Arlington Yacht Club
01/19/2008 7:47 PM Pacific Time

Joe, I have added the Forespar extension to my tiller. Bring your boat back to AYC and I will show you where I put it. We are really enjoying growth in the Catalina22 Fleet.
I put mine back so that at a particular distance, I could use a preset mark on the extension and be able to reach the clutches, the boom vang , and my cunningham. On my boat, it is about 12 inches of the end of the tiller. I have cut my tiller from the back side so that it did not protrude into the cockpit so much.

Come over for lunch tomorrow.
We will be sailing as usual. Lynn Van Hooser
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 / 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Joe Pool Lake
01/21/2008 8:27 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info Lynn. As for returning to Lake Arlington, I would have a hard time giving up Joe Pool! My trailer is very tall and, after a LOT of adjusting, I still couldn't get my boat off of it when the lake was below 544 ft. Many times I literally slung the boat off by tapping the brakes, then used the winch to drag it back up the bunk boards. My boat slip is only 10 minutes from work and I have actually gone sailing over lunch. Talk about getting away from the grind! Again, thanks for the tiller extension info. Hope to see you out somtime!

Joe
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
01/22/2008 6:28 AM Pacific Time

Joe,
I put mine about 6 or 7 inches back as well. Just enough for a comfortable hand width. I wanted it as far forward as possible to get the most leverage on the rudder.
Sorry, no pictures of this one!
David

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Tller Extension Placement