Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / raising mast

Author raising mast
Calvin Henshaw
clermont, florida

Boat Name:

Model/Year: catalina 22 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/22/2008 10:06 AM Pacific Time

I saw once a picture or drawing of a wench device for raising the mast alone.
Can anyone help. Did it with pully but mast wants to go side to side, because both hands have to be on the pulling rope.

thanks
Calvin
[email protected]
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
01/23/2008 10:33 AM Pacific Time

Look at this link:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/BobConway01.htm

Bob
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
04/05/2008 1:40 PM Pacific Time

My boat is in the water and I need to lower my mast to replace the spreader boots. What is the best procedure for this? I would like to be able to do this by myself if at all possible.

Also, the spreader boots that I have ordered from CD are the leather type. Are there any special instructions for properly lacing them and tying off?

Thanks

Willard Morton
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
04/07/2008 10:31 AM Pacific Time

There are a number of do-it-yourself mast raising and lowering systems in these archives. If you want to spend money, CD sells a system for around $400. The cheapest way is to get a few friends to help. Tie a line to the jib halyard and have one friend stand on land as far away as possible. Have the other in the aft cockpit to catch the mast and support it on his shoulders while you disconnect it from the deck plate hinge. If you lower it to far before disconnecting it will pry up or break the hinge. Make sure all slides in the mast track are fully tightened or removed and any deck connections undone. Disconnect the forward stay and shrouds. Bungee or tie them to the mast so they won't snag. Have the friend on land take up the slack and slowly let the mast go backwards into the hands of the friend in the cockpit. The land line will lose control at about 45 degrees so be ready to take over from that point. Lift the base of the mast and support it on the forward pulpit. The other shrouds can snag so your job is to keep that from happening. Reverse the procedure when raising.
J.A. Smith
Newport News, VA

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: Swing Keel 1974

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Merrimac Shore Yacht Basin, VA
04/08/2008 7:18 AM Pacific Time

calvin, i use a gin pole arrangement similar to bob conway's;

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/BobConway01.htm

along with an a-frame stabilizer, similar to ken brown's;

http://homepage.mac.com/kbrown/PhotoAlbum11.html

and the cd extendable rear crutch. all of the hardware is collapsible and stowed on board.

i easily raise and lower the mast single handed in and out of the water.

in general, with the boom removed and the gin pole system (i use the vang and jib sheet) and a-frame secured in position, i disconnect the two forward shroud lines (the mid shroud line can be just loosened) and then the forestay. the vang cam cleat easily holds the jib sheet if there is any untangling to do (i also use the jib clutch as a safety).

the cd extendable crutch is used to get a better starting angle so as not to put too much tension on the gin pole system. a taller gin pole system would eliminate the need for the crutch but i wanted a system that could be stowed on board.

hope this helps
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
04/16/2008 8:26 PM Pacific Time

Howard & J.A.,

Thanks so much for the information. This has been helpful to me in preparation for this ordeal. I have not received all of the items ordered from CD (backorder) so have not yet started on this yet. So all of the information you all provided will be used in this process.

Thanks again, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I appreciate your quick responses.

Willard

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / raising mast