Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Bilge Pump Suggestions

Author Bilge Pump Suggestions
Billy Fender
Lexington, SC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22, 1981

Hull No. 10081

Hailing Port: Lake Murray, Columbia, SC
01/26/2008 3:07 PM Pacific Time

Any not too expensive ideas on a good Bilge Pump set-up for my "new to me" Cat-22? Looks like most of the water is settling around the battery area, at least while it is on the trailer. Would rather not cut through the Hull.

thx
billy
Steve
Pocatello, ID

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Capri 22, 1973

Hull No. 2584

Hailing Port: Bear Lake, Idaho
05/04/2009 9:08 PM Pacific Time

Billy,

Did you ever get an answer on your bilge pump question? I have the exact same issue on my '73 Cat Capri.

Thanks-
Steve
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/05/2009 12:09 AM Pacific Time

It is common for any water to collect in the area below the winch under the step. The water comes from leaking companionway hatches, windows, and if sailing in heavy weather (excessive heel) the volcano tube for the keel cable. I keep a sponge in that area for quick cleanups. Water from side and overhead leaks migrate to the center of the boat. The slant of the interior sides, and hull floor (which goes from forward to aft), makes it so you can see the water in that location quite well. If you have more water than a sponge can handle, you should start looking for and fixing your leaks. I keep a dinghy water scoop and bucket on my boat, which I found after being holed by another boat, work much faster than a bilge pump.
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
05/06/2009 9:22 AM Pacific Time

An electric bilge pump, with a switch to bring it on when the water gets to a certain level is great, and you can have it empty into the cockpit. The pump can be mounted just forward of the battery location. This works really well if you aren't in an area with lots of trees and other stuff that will end up on the cockpit and end up clogging the cockpit drains. This problem, too, can be solved by a couple of holes in the transom, just above the floor of the cockpit. You won't take on any water there, and it will make sure the cockpit is not full of water when the drains at the forward end of the cockpit clog. Ron
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
05/26/2009 12:10 PM Pacific Time

I recently installed a non-automatic Rule 1100 in a 1988 C22-14447. Since the pump is too tall to fit in the bilge under the floor (I misjudged), I mated it to a plastic mount that can be dropped into either of the floor/bilge openings. A 10' clear hose runs out the companionway into the cockpit. Power is supplied from an outlet near the electrical panel.

The system works but has a few problems:
- I used the cheaper, stiffer, clear hose instead of the opaque, flexible hose.
- Since it's not permanent, it takes a few minutes to set up.
- It's easy to kick the hose when moving around.
-This particular pump will stall for a l o n g time when it sucks air.

On a related topic, I was shocked at the labyrinth of water flow under the floor. I assumed that all water entering the bilge would end up at the "lowest" point - under the forward bilge access by keel trunk. It seems that some paths are non-connecting when the water is just a few inches deep. Water will then pool in that "trapped" area until the boat is tilted to get to an accessible low point. Maybe the pre '86 boats are better in that respect?

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Bilge Pump Suggestions