Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How to hold Compression Tube In place

Author How to hold Compression Tube In place
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Way Gone

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/31/2008 7:02 AM Pacific Time

I have the Spreaders Brackets Retrofit kit for a 1980 Catalina 25. I have read several suggestions on how to get the Large Compression Tube into the center of the mast and into position, however, I am not clear on how to get it to say in position.

I see a small hole in the center of the bracket tube where the spreader tubes go. But it seems that if I were to simply put a bolt through it, the compression tube would be able to slide up/down. Can someone please clarify?
Thanks
Matt
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
01/31/2008 10:08 AM Pacific Time

Matthew,
My kit came with 2 bolts. One that goes through the hole where the spreader tubes go, as you describe and another that goes through a hole just above the spreaders. A good picture is here: http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Details/DSCF1872
My kit came with 2 compression sleeves. I think I only used one for the socket bold and never installed the one for the upper bolt. I used 2 pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe and a long piece of strong string. I filed a groove in the top of the pipe for the tube to sit in. Next I fished the string through the tube so there was a loop at the top and the 2 ends hanging out the other end. I used masking tape to tape the tube to the top of the pipe and then pulled both ends of the string tight to help hold the tube to the top of the pipe. I then taped the ends of the string to the pipe to keep tension on the string. I pushed the pipe up the mast until the tube was aligned in the hole, put the bolt through the hole in one spreader socket, pushed the bolt through the mast, compression tube and out the other side of the mast. Then, I put the opposite bracket in place over the protruding bolt and attached the nut. The compression posts prevent the mast from collapsing as you tighten the nut. I had to file my compression post to get it to fit in my old style mast.

Hope that helps. You can find me at another forum if you need help or follow up. www.c22region10.org/bb.

Fair Winds,
David
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/31/2008 12:05 PM Pacific Time

David, thank you very much for your response. I'm waiting to be approved by admins at the other forum you sent. I thought i'd continue here anyway.

I've noticed that most of these discussions are about Catalina 22's, but I also can't seem to find a forum for the C-25.

On the C-25, I think the Spreaders Brackets may be a little bit different. On the 22, it looks like there is one bolt at the top, and I guess one that goes through the center of the socets. On the 25, there are 2 at the top and one below the sockets (above the tangs - see the detail here: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=10)

Also on this rig, there are 2 compression tubes: A @3/8 and a 1-1/4 tube. The 3/8 goes where the bottom bolt is below the sockets. The 1-1/4 tube goes where the sockets actually are.

The only hole in the sockets is very small... maybe... 1/8. I could put a small bolt through that hole, through the 1-1/4 tube and out the other side. But what is to keep it from sliding down the 1/2-3/4 of an inch.

Is it simply the friction when you tighten all the bolts that keeps it in place?

By the way - nice idea with the PVC pipe for getting it in place. I've heard of the Garden Hose Method. PVC might be a bit easier.

Thanks again.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Hull No. 4330

01/31/2008 1:50 PM Pacific Time

Matthew,
I didn't notice when I posted that it was a C25. However, I think you'll find this useful:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/4-1-5.gif
[I found that link in a post on their forum after searching spreader and brackets.]
Looks like a sheet metal screw in the socket on each side to keep it from falling down. A tad funky, but should work, I suppose.

That same site has a forum and lots of other info, too. I've put in a word with the C22 forum to get you activated so you should be good to go there. Lots of info pertains to both our boats.
Fair winds,
David

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
02/01/2008 5:22 AM Pacific Time

Gentlemen, I think you have the wrong impression of how a compression sleeve /tube is used. I have never seen one on a C22 but in working with masts and tubes in general you are making it too difficult. A compression sleeve/tube goes all the way through the mast and it's length is cut to the outside diameter of the mast, hence when the bolt through it is tightened up the pressure will be on the tube, not the mast . It's purpose is to keep the mast from compressing when the bolt throught it is tightened up. It is simple to just assemble one bracket with the bolt and compression tube, put it through the mast and assemble the opposite bracket and nut. Not a big deal.
For whatit's worth, Al Ge
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
02/01/2008 7:54 AM Pacific Time

You can find some illustrations and comments here: http://www.fleet130.org/technotes/mast/Spreaders/index.htm
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Hull No. 4330

02/01/2008 9:57 AM Pacific Time

Al,
Not so much the wrong idea, just an extremely more difficult way to achieve the same result! :-) It just never occurred to me to drill a hole in the mast large enough for the o.d. of the tube! Doh! Next time, that's the way to do it!

Thanks for the common sense tip!

David
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/01/2008 11:19 AM Pacific Time

Al, Someone had told me that is the way to do it (or as he said, drill one hole the inside diameter of the compression tube, and the opposite hole the outside diamter. Slide the compression tube in and bolt).

That seems like the way to go for the 3/8" tube, but the 1-1/4" tube seems too big - like drilling a hole that size through the mast is not really that good of an idea. (besides, originally, the mast did not have any hole that big, but the tube was in there). Hence, the fish it down with garden hose, pvc, wood, etc...

But I realized last night that fishing it down is not a possibility for me. The reason I am in this perdicament is because I had a dismast - One of the lowers pulled out of the deck, and the mast sheered in 2. Luckily, it was a very clean break and almost couldn't have been cut better with a saw. But after getting it back from repair, I see that that in addition to welding the two pieces together, he also used rivets. So, the rivits would block me from fishing the large compression tube down.

So... my question. I have the mast that was sheered in half right at the spreaders bars. To repair it, the guy put 2 feet of 1/4" thick aluminum inside the mast on both sides (Mast is oval-ish shaped). He then welded the mast together at the break, spot welded the aluminum sheets in place, then riveted the aluminium to the side of the mast.

My question is, after all this, how important is the large compression tube? Is the mast now strong enough that it is not necessary to have both tubes? Or if the tubes are only to prevent compression when you tighten the bolts as you say, use 3/8" tubes at each bolt?

Thanks
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
02/02/2008 6:50 AM Pacific Time

I guess I don't know how the brackets are fastened to the mast, just never looked nor had a reason to look, I should probably look it up before answering, so take that into consideration with this answer.
Putting the sleeve in the mast is good, only needs to be same thickness as the mast rule of thumb is a length twice the diameter and riveted; using 1/4" thick material is excessive overkill and adds extra weight aloft. Welding is not necessary and puts a hard spot where you may want a hole. That said, this is what you have to work with, so to go on from there it seems that you could drill and tap holes to mount the brackets, unless the only mounting option is a bolt throught the middle, then as you say with the 1/4 pipe inside crushing it with just reasonable bolt tightening seems improbable, so the compression tube does seem like it would be over kill.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
02/02/2008 12:25 PM Pacific Time

Before you drill the mast to the O.D. of the compression tube, make sure that you have one that is long enough to be flush with the outside of the mast. Otherwise, it won't do its job. The best way to deal with this design is to keep the compression tube in place with a screwdriver as you remove the bolt and not let it roll down the mast.
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/02/2008 2:37 PM Pacific Time

First, thanks to everyone that has participated in this discussion. As a new owner, it's good to know people are active in these forums with helpful information.

I mounted the brackets on today. I hear what you are saying about the 1/4" being excessive and the extra weight. As I gather information, there a couple things i would have had the guy do differently, but no doubt the mast is much stronger at the repair than anywhere else.

I ended up using only one compression tube. The brackets are mounted with 3 through bolts: Two above the spreaders socket, and one below. I put the compression tube in the bolt hole that is below the socket. Really, my main concern at this point in scrapping the second compression tube was if the mast with the sleeve inside would be strong enough to prevent compressing on it's own. I had a friend (who is somewhat knowledgeable) take a look, and he seemed to think there was no problem.

Time certainly will tell as tomorrow the mast goes up.

Thanks again

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How to hold Compression Tube In place