Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bow cleat recaulking

Author Bow cleat recaulking
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
02/10/2008 7:09 PM Pacific Time

Other than the access port in the anchor locker, is there any other way to access the bow cleats for recaulking? My arms don't bend that far... Thanks in advance.
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
02/18/2008 7:54 PM Pacific Time

Without a response, I went in blind. Borrowed a dremel tool from a friend and bought a 1/8" cutting bit. Worked like a charm. A few things to watch out for: There are wires under the bow cleats behind the anchor locker. Tape the bit so that it cuts only the fiberglass but not the wires behind it. Some dremels have multiple speeds, 1-5. 3 seemed to work best. Cut the hole slightly behind the bow cleats so you have cutting clearance as the bow narrows. 4" screw in deck plates are plenty big. Trace the hole with the lid and cut just inside the line. Cut on the line and the hole is too big. Use the round dremel sanding tool to smooth and/or widen the circle if needed. Silicone the plate. Drill holes. Silicone the holes and screw it in. Bow cleat access at your finger tips.
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
10/23/2012 9:49 PM Pacific Time

Seems like a genious idea! I'll have to give it a try in the spring.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bow cleat recaulking