Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / How do I rig my jiffy reef system (original to Cat 25 (1983)

Author How do I rig my jiffy reef system (original to Cat 25 (1983)
Stephen Moore
Galesburg, Illinois

Boat Name: Old Disco Queen

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 25

Hull No. 3559

Hailing Port: Peoria, Illinois River
02/23/2008 2:36 PM Pacific Time

I just purchased a Cat 25 (1983) last fall.

I need to know how to rig the jiffy reef system.

I looked at the Catalina parts book. Is there a knot placed behind each end of the line that enters the sails? (the diagram only show the front portion).

Thanks
Stephen
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
03/20/2008 10:43 PM Pacific Time

I use a large "D" ring tied with a bowline to my jiffy reef line to attach to the reefing eye in my mainsail. (Many use a hook that is designed for this very purpose but I found the "D" ring is nice becuase it completley clips over the reefing eye). I have a turning block at my mast step plate that I run the jiffy reef line though then the line runs to a jam cleat on my cabin top at the cockpit. When I need to reef I ease the mainsheet, pull the reefing line though the jam cleat until my main is reefed to the reefing point, then I tighten my mainsheet and secure the reefed portion of my mainsail to the boom. This has worked well for me and it's always rigged which makes reefing while single-handing much easier.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / How do I rig my jiffy reef system (original to Cat 25 (1983)