Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / CD Scupper kit

Author CD Scupper kit
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
03/15/2008 3:34 PM Pacific Time

I got the CD scupper kit. I bored the hole through the transom. The brass tubes are the exact same size as the hole saw provided in the kit and consequently, they won't go in to the hole: extremely tight fit. You have to slide them in and out a couple of times in the installation process and getting them in and out in this situation would involve pounding and mangling the tubes. I only have one shot at it.

I tried putting the tubes in the freezer for a while to take advantage of thermal contraction, but it's not enough.

Anyone out there install this kit have the same problem and how did you overcome?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/16/2008 6:01 AM Pacific Time

I haven't done ir but it seems to me that you would want a tight fit. As I understand the installation, they give you a tool to swage/flare the end of the tube. I seem to remember somthing about epoxy being used to assure a seal on both ends. But I would think a tight fit is a good thing.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
03/16/2008 6:28 AM Pacific Time

Paul,

I had the same problem. I looked closely at the hole saw and notices several teeth missing on the blade of the hole saw CD provided. I ended up purchasing a new hole saw blade and carefully re-drilled the holes. That did the trick. You are probably using the same saw blade I returned to CD. My guess is those blades are only good for a few boats going through all the layers of wood and glass on a C-22. You've probably got a saw that has gone through a few boats too many and the teeth are worn out.

Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

03/16/2008 7:50 AM Pacific Time

Al - I agree tight is good, but when I said extremely tight I should have said "ain't no way that tube is going in that hole".

Joe - I'll take your advise and get another hole saw. Thank you! Now the challenge will be to re-bore the hole without a center......

Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

03/16/2008 8:34 PM Pacific Time

I ended up using a rotary file on my drill to ream out the holes ever so slightly. Everything went together fine after that.

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / CD Scupper kit