Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / How to prevent Mast Wiring Clanking

Author How to prevent Mast Wiring Clanking
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Way Gone

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/15/2008 7:21 PM Pacific Time

I would like to find a way to prevent the wiring inside of the mast to clank against the mast sides as the boat heels side to side. Any ideas?
Thanks
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
03/16/2008 4:58 AM Pacific Time

My mast has a 1/2" PVC pipe pop riveted on the inside and the wires run through it. Since my halyards also run through the mast it also protects the wiring from chafing by the halyards
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/16/2008 7:27 AM Pacific Time

If you don't want to add the PVC , you can use tye wraps put on about every 14 - 16" leaving the tails on. Once pulled through the hold the wiring in place.
Howard Conrad
Tulsa OK

Boat Name: H2

Model/Year: Cat 22 1983

Hull No. CTYH1653M83G

Hailing Port: Tulsa
03/16/2008 9:06 AM Pacific Time

I did overkill and cut 20 blocks of computer packing foam into a shape roughly matching interior of mast then cut hole in middle and cut slit from edge to hole then slid foam block over wiring every foot or so and taped in place with electrical tape. Pulled whole assembly back into mast and bingo no more clang, ever. Keeps wiring away from any screw points too if there are any.

HC
"H2.0"
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
03/17/2008 6:30 AM Pacific Time

Earlier model boats like my '75 just had 3 or 4 wads of foam around the wires at different points along the mast. It worked fine. Some PO may have removed the foam. My '89 has a PVC pipe riveted in the length of the mast because of internal halyards, a nice upgrade project if you're so inclined. CD has a kit.
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Way Gone

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/19/2008 9:33 AM Pacific Time

I think i've decided to put the PVC pipe inside.

What is the trick for holding the PVC steady while you drill the holes and rivit it in place?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
03/20/2008 5:49 AM Pacific Time

Pre-drill the holes in the PVC pipe. Mark their location on your mast and drill corresponidng holes in the mast. Roll your mast so the holes are down and insert the PVC with holes down also. Secure with aluminum pop rivets. Start at the bottom hole and work to the top. You might find that a piece of wood to hold the pipe in place for the first rivet will make the installation easier. I just checked my mast and there are 7 rivets holding my tube in place. It may also be helpful to use a string around the PVC at the steaming light location during istallation to provide added stability to the pipe.

Don't forget to put a MESSENGER LINE in the pipe before you install it. Also you need to make provisions for your steaming light wiring if you have it.
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
03/21/2008 10:23 AM Pacific Time

If you do forget to put in a messenger line (speaking from experience...) all is not lost; hook up the hose from a vacuum cleaner to one end of the pipe and attach the messenger line to a small piece of foam rubber. It'll pull it right on through.

I used plastic peanuts on the mast of a larger boat; and the vacuum; hooked it up to the exit port in the cabin, climbed the mast, and fed those puppies in 'til they overflowed the top. Worked a charm.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / How to prevent Mast Wiring Clanking