Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How to seize shrouds to spreaders

Author How to seize shrouds to spreaders
Tim Seguy
Alpharetta, GA

Boat Name: Blues Breaker

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Aqualand
03/23/2008 7:24 PM Pacific Time

Looking for any advise on the proper technique to use seizing wire to secure the shrouds to the spreader tubes. I recently upgraded to the new Catalina Direct brackets with upgraded 1" spreader tubes. The tubes have a slot built in to pass the upper shroud through along with a set of holes above the slot to pass seizing wire. My question is:

1. Is there a preferred technique to wrap the wire (photos would also be appreciated)?

2. Should the shrouds be free to move or be static in the slot?

3. Should the seizing wire be wrapped around the shroud wire (the answer to question #1 probably answers this one).

4. Any other material information specific to securing the shroud to the spreader tube.

Thank you.

Tim
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
03/24/2008 6:29 AM Pacific Time

I believe that most people use the rubber spreader boots available at Catalina direct or West Marine. The shroud should be retained in the slot with a cotter pin, but otherwise be allowed to move freely. The rubber boot is to help prevent chafing of the jib more than retaining the shroud and I have seen people use tennis balls instead of the rubber boot.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How to seize shrouds to spreaders