Swing Keel Replacement

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Pivot hole location

Author Pivot hole location
Joe
Maryland

Boat Name: Kelly's Cay

Model/Year: 22/1975

Hull No. 5802

Hailing Port: Annapolis
04/08/2008 4:28 PM Pacific Time

Hi all,

I have a Catalina 22 1975. I got it a year ago. I had it hauled out of the water and noticed the keel assembly was installed upside down! Worse than that I noticed my keel hole is HUGE!!!! I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on where this hole should be re-drilled. I have talked with many people who suggested different ways to re-fill the enlarged hole, But it is going to be very difficult to determine where it should be. I think another few drops of the keel and I would have been looking for another boat.

Any help will be great!!

Thanks,
Joe
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
04/09/2008 6:36 AM Pacific Time

Hi Joe,

It would be really helpful to have some pictures to look at.

Peter
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 22' swing, 1973

Hull No. 2241

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
04/09/2008 8:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi Joe,

I also have a 75 C22. I would like to help you out, but I am not sure what you are really asking...
Joe
Maryland

Hull No. 5802

04/09/2008 9:05 AM Pacific Time

Peter, Is there a way to post Pictures on this Forum?

Thanks,
Joe

Dave, The hole is so big...almost 2" I'm not sure where the original was. So when I fill in the material I would like to be able to drill out just what I need for the pin were it was originally.

Thanks,
Joe
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
04/09/2008 9:25 AM Pacific Time

It may be safe to assume that the hole wore in an upwards manner unless the boat was resting on the keel for the majority of the time. I don't think the spec on these is that tight. Close is likely good enough. If someone did have a keel out of the boat, you may be able to get some decent reference measurements. You may want to post at the http://www.c22region10.org/bb/ forum as I think one or more of those folks may have a keel out right now.

Hope that helps.

David
http://www.c22region10.org/bb/
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/09/2008 10:13 AM Pacific Time

Don Hare Fleet 54 Captain has a new keel not installed and could measure for you. If you give me your phone number or e-mail, I could pass it on to Don and I'm sure he would help you out.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/09/2008 10:14 AM Pacific Time

Yikes I forgot to add my contact information is Lynn Buchanan 530-470-0511 or e-mail sailynn at comcast dot net
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Hull No. 2241

04/09/2008 10:30 AM Pacific Time

Of course, now I know what you are asking. Although my keel is on the boat, I'll see what I can measure tomorrow unless someone else does it first.

It would also probably be a good idea to install one of those sleeves.

dc
Joe
Maryland

Hull No. 5802

04/09/2008 11:50 AM Pacific Time

Thank you all,

This is a great forum. I can't believe the quick responses!!
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Hull No. 2241

04/11/2008 6:56 AM Pacific Time

Hi Joe,

I am not able to measure from hole itself, but from the bottom of the hanger bracket to the bottom of the keel was 12 1/4 inches. From the forward side of the bracket to the front of the keel was 16 inches.

Hopefully this will help.

Good luck!

Dave
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/27/2008 4:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi,
I just took a few moments to measure mine and made up a drawing of the pin location.
http://tinyurl.com/3wvcbn
I think that the very important point of location is that the C/L of the pin (on my 1987 boat) is about 2" behind the top of the keel at the bend location. The bend location is 15 1/2" from the top to the center of the pin as measured along that edge.
This is important to the design because the hangers are located so that center of pivot is 2" in front of the back vertical wall of the keel trunk in the hull.
This image may help to visualize the location.
http://tinyurl.com/56nutj
I believe that the intent of the design is that this flat section of the keel (above the pin when it's down) will rest completely on the fiberglass vertical section of the back of the keel trunk. If this pivot location is different, (Say that you locate it 3" from the top/back edge instead of 2" ) you will be putting a great deal of strain on one point of contact where the keel hits the back of this fiberglass keel trunk which could cause a sunk boat.
Here's what I believe that it should look like when the keel is down and the top back of the keel hits on this trunk area:
http://tinyurl.com/5pvzhg
I'm far from a engineer/designer but this is my take on this.

Swing Keel Replacement
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Pivot hole location