Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / sail repair

Author sail repair
nick milliken
portsmouth,N.H.

Boat Name: Mast Confusion

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. ctyh4507j788

Hailing Port: portsmouth, N.H.
05/28/2008 4:24 PM Pacific Time

My roller furling headsail is chewed up where it passes the shrouds. What to do?
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
05/29/2008 5:24 PM Pacific Time

Aside from finding a local sail maker to repair your sail or buying a new one if it is too far gone, it would be a good idea to check your spreader boots to make sure you have a smooth surface and to cover your shroud turnbuckles with pvc pipe and cap. Also cover the shrouds with a plastic sleeve up to the spreaders. You can find these covers in most marine stores such as West Marine and they are not expensive.
Jim Sherwood
Westerville, Ohio

Boat Name: Who Cares

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 2186

Hailing Port: Westerville, Ohio
05/30/2008 4:32 AM Pacific Time

Sails can be repaired with a needle and thread, sewing machine, or sail patch tape, depending on the extent and type of damage.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/30/2008 9:11 AM Pacific Time

First I would check to make certain that your shrouds are not fraying. I use some cotton batting and run up and down the shrouds. Do this with gloves on just in case you have some meat hooks. If you see remnants of the batting on the shrouds it is a sign that they are coming apart. If they are, repace them immediately.

If all is well, any marine store will have shroud covers. They are plastic,split along one side and fit over the shrouds. They come in lengths of about 6'. I have had them on my forward and aft shrouds for about 7 years and they look as good as new.
nick milliken
portsmouth,N.H.

Boat Name: Mast Confusion

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. ctyh4507j788

Hailing Port: portsmouth, N.H.
06/13/2008 6:54 PM Pacific Time

Thanks. I got lucky I went to a canvas store and ran into an old salt. She taught me the whole sail repair process . She came out with a little stash of all the right materials and expertise. As far as the shroud covers, I have some. The shrouds are not frayed. I believe that sun weakend edges gave way after time.....

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / sail repair