Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Using the mast as an AM/FM Stereo Antenna ?

Author Using the mast as an AM/FM Stereo Antenna ?
Carlos Quezada
Newport Beach, CA

Boat Name: Mary Katherine

Model/Year: Catalina '22 - 1964

Hull No. 4576

Hailing Port: Dana Point
06/20/2008 12:50 PM Pacific Time

I have a stereo in my cabin that is currently attached to a $8 rubber coated antenna from Wal-Mart, which doesn't get very good reception.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or had any opinion regarding using the mast as an antenna?

Would it be as simple as bolting a wire to the mast and splicing into the Antenna wire?

Also is there any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't splice my stereo antenna into my VHF antenna?

Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 22' swing, 1973

Hull No. 2241

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
06/26/2008 5:46 AM Pacific Time

Hi Carlos,

I think the mast is made of alumimin which is not a great conductor of electricity. You could try just taking a piece of wire and touch it to the radio's antenna input and then to the mast and see what you get for reception.

Do not splice into your marine radio antenna. As soon as you transmit, you will blow out your stereo receiver.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
06/27/2008 3:56 AM Pacific Time

Carlos, I assume you are listening to FM radio. If so, the problem with using the mast is that it is not the correct length. FM radio antennas need to be a certain length, about 3', IRRC. A proper antenna for FM is not very expensive. Perhaps your antenna could be mounted on top of the mast for better reception, although in SoCal, I can't imagine that you can't get great reception of a couple dozen stations with very little antenna.

If you are concerned with AM radio, the mast should work just fine.

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
06/27/2008 7:02 AM Pacific Time

Gentlemen;
The mast and rigging on boats is--or should be-- groun ded back to the water. When you get a lightening strike or if it is just static charge leakage, all the rigging should be tied together electrically. It is not to much of a problem in So. Cal. because there are few thunder and lightening storms. Here in Texas and the mid west they are the rule of the day for most rain that we get comes in thunder storms. A friend at our yacht club found that he had been hit by lightening because fittings were lightly welded together at their points of contact. Very strange, no other boats in the yard seem to have had that problem, his boat, with others, was store near trees; it was strange but most of us make sure that all our rigging is connected and to the keel. when sitting on a trailer it is insulated from ground, obviously, so we're not sure why we don't get hit more than we do, but do not use your mast for an antenna. And as pointed out above, if it is FM you need a dipole type for best results.
For what it's worth, Al Ge
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
06/27/2008 9:31 AM Pacific Time

I have something like a 6' length of antenna cable strung under the cockpit seats with no antenna attached and I get local S.F. stations with no trouble at all. You may want to try something like that.

David
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
06/27/2008 12:56 PM Pacific Time

XM works a charm.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
06/28/2008 6:31 PM Pacific Time

I have a rubber coated whip FM antenna mounted to the corner of the transom on the engine side. It works great and never gets in my way. It came with the boat but I don't think they're too expensive.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Using the mast as an AM/FM Stereo Antenna ?