Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leak under the seat

Author Leak under the seat
Lucas
Summit, NJ

Boat Name: Nellie

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/21/2008 10:18 PM Pacific Time

I just recently purchased a Catalina 22 1985 swing keel. The owner mentioned to me that the space under the forward dinette seat (where the locking bolt is) occasionally fills with water after a days worth of sailing. He believed that it was associated to heeling over on that side. I have taken her out on a few occasions and this seem to be true. So, at the end of the day I pumped it out and checked it several days later and it was still dry as a bone. Im worried that this may be symptom of a larger problem.

I have considered the source may be the locking bolt as it seems to be frozen in position and not necessary to keel functioning. The previous owner took very god care of the boat including alot of work on the keel. Is there some way I could solve this mystery without taking her out of the water? Any ideas on what it may be?
Thanks
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/25/2008 4:28 AM Pacific Time

Hi Lucas,
If you know that the water is not coming in from the topsides from rain then the locking bolt is a possible leak point. If the bolt became frozen when it was tight, it probably has dug a rut into the keel. It should be freed and the threads greased or if you have no intention to ever use it, fiberglass it over.
Some don't use it. I have never had a need here in a smaller inland lake.

You may also take a close look at the fiberglass for possible cracks.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
06/25/2008 6:55 AM Pacific Time

It's very common for the leakage you describe coming from the locking bolt. Many owners remove the bolt and glass over the bolt hole.. Won't hurt anything and it will solve you problem.
Larry
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
06/28/2008 6:46 AM Pacific Time

the reason you dont see any water in there while the boat is sitting at the dock during the week is because the bolt is a few inches above the water line when sitting in calm water. When sailing the waves and angle of heel put the bolt at least at the water line if not below.
to prove it is the locking bolt, get a water soluable marking pen (Vis-a-Vie brand) and draw a circle around the lock bolt when the compartment is dry. Then go sailing and see if the mark around the bolt has washed away in spots. If it has, that is likely the source of the leak.
I had the same problem. Really cannot be fixed with the boat in the water. The bolt might be freed up and removed but likely it is bent. Even slightly will preclude it from being removed. Only real solution is to remove the keel and cut it off. You could leave the keel in and grind out the stainless strap on the inside. If you did this, you could glass over the hole and get away with repairing it without dropping the keel.
drop me a note off line if you have any other questions.
boatnamenumberatcomcastdotnet
Lucas
Summit, NJ

Boat Name: Nellie

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/29/2008 1:06 PM Pacific Time

Wow-
Thank you to everyone that responded! I feel much better knowing that it may be the locking bolt and that so many others have had similar experiences. With this info, I plan on keeping her in the water for the remainder of the season and taking her out in the fall. Obviously, I will continue to keep her dry, but is this the only location that I should watch for? Is it possible that I the locking bolt is causing a leak in between the hull and the stowage space under the seat? I guess this would collect in the bilge? Any thoughts?

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leak under the seat