Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Jamming Sail sliders

Author Jamming Sail sliders
Steve Schulman
Shady Side, Maryland

Boat Name: as is

Model/Year: C22 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Shady Side, Maryland
07/02/2008 7:40 PM Pacific Time

I bought my boat 2 years ago, and a nagging problem has been sail sliders that jam as the go through the mast gate section of the sail track. Sometimes they pop out of the gate, even though it looks like the gate is aligned properly with the edges of the track. Do I have the wrong size sliders? Should I be using flat or rounded sliders? Any other ideas? Thanks so much.

R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/03/2008 4:14 AM Pacific Time

Steve, the sliders, or slugs, should be round. One thing you might want to check is to make certain the pieces that make up your mast gate are flat. If one is warped up it will effectively make the slot wider.

Another thing, I was amazed at how dirty the track in the mast can get. Every spring I clean mine out with a spare slug wrapped with a rag that has been dampened with some charcoat lighter fluid. Just run it up and down the track to remove dirt, spiders and the occasional dirt dauber. Then spray a silicone or teflon spray in the slot.
Steve Schulman
Shady Side, Maryland

Hull No.

07/03/2008 5:57 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I did recently straighten out and re-align mast gate, and spray with silicon, but I didn't clean the track.
Dean Hunt
Spirit Lake, Iowa

Boat Name: Stayin' Alive

Model/Year: C-22---1992

Hull No. 15239

Hailing Port: West Lake Okoboji
07/03/2008 11:42 AM Pacific Time

I had the same problem with jamming sail slugs, had to winch the sail up and it took 5 mintues of tuging to get it down. I cleaned the slot and slugs, lubricated both with silcone and now it goes up and down with ease, I could not believe the difference.
Steve Schulman
Shady Side, Maryland

Hull No.

07/09/2008 3:13 PM Pacific Time

Thanks. Worked like a charm.

Steve

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Jamming Sail sliders