Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Setting bunk hight on a C22 swing keel Trailor.

Author Setting bunk hight on a C22 swing keel Trailor.
Ron Chambers
Hickory, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1986 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/06/2008 4:19 PM Pacific Time

I recently purchased a 1986 C22 with a swing keel and trailor. The boat currenty looks to be sitting with most of the weight on the keel. From what I have read most of the weight should be on the bunks. When I raise the bunks how much clearance is good to see between the keel and keel roller when the keel is all the way up?
I also need to replace the carpet on the bunks and thought of going ahead and replacing the boards. Is marine grade wood still the way to go or have they come out with something synthetic?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/09/2008 4:31 AM Pacific Time

Ron, my keel clears the center support by about 1 1/2 inches.

Most of the alternatives to wood are not suited for applications like our bunk boards. Most require support at 16" on center. My trailer is original to the boat. I have had it for 9 years. The bunk boards were not new when I bought it. I think the boards still look pretty good. I did put new carpet down 2 years ago. If I stretch my imagination the exposure to water, other than rain, is probably only about 20 minutes a year.

If you are going to redo your carpet use copper or stainless nails. The new pressure treating process uses copper in some form and a contractor friend of mine says he has had problems with other than stainless nails.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
07/09/2008 8:45 AM Pacific Time

I had the same problem with too much weight on the keel. I raised the bunks by putting pressure treated 2x6 blocks under them at each of the attachment points. My keel now clears the bumper by about an inch.
Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Boat Name: Marionette

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

Hailing Port: Pelican Lake, Otter Tail Co. Minn.
11/25/2008 9:35 AM Pacific Time

I raised my bunks 1 1/2 when I recarpeted with pieces of 2X6 under the existing bunks and used longer bolts. It allows the Swing keel to noticably drop an inch or so onto the roller where it should be. I wasn't sure that the boat wasn't sitting on the roller before.

Also check out my comment on trailer ID and how to move the boat forward in the bunks...
Jeff

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Setting bunk hight on a C22 swing keel Trailor.