Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Gelcoat Prep for Barrier Coat

Author Gelcoat Prep for Barrier Coat
Tim Florek
Neenah, Wisconsin

Boat Name: Love n Luck

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10301

Hailing Port: Neenah
07/07/2008 9:24 AM Pacific Time

OK something about messing with the bottom of my boat freaks me out a bit.

I need to barrier coat and paint my bottom. I've very stupidly had the boat on a mooring for two season at 4 months per season without bottom paint. My boat was trailer sailed for about 20 years so the previous owner never touched the bottom. I for some reason thought Gelcoat and wax was all that was needed. Stupid newbie mistake.

Now I'm terrified of what damage maybe happening to my boat. I know I'm starting to see tiny "pimple" blisters.

How do I know when I've sanded the Gelcoat down far enough to start applying the barrier coat?

Thanks for any advice.

Tim

Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
07/09/2008 12:19 PM Pacific Time

Pick up a copy of Don Casey's "Hull and Deck Repair" before you proceed. It is $20.00 well spent for any fiberglass boat owner whether you plan on doing any repair/maintanence work or not.
The correct cure for "boat pox" which is what you describe requiers that all the gel coat in the effected area be removed. The area must then be thoroughly dried which can take weeks before the barrier coat is applied.
Get the book!!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/13/2008 7:43 PM Pacific Time

Drying the hull out is the key. Haul her during the hottest months and let her sit after sanding the hull. If you can buy or rent a moisture meter and measure the before and after that would help. Most chandleries will know someone who owns a moisture meter and would be willing to help you out (mostly for a small fee) per foot of boat.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Gelcoat Prep for Barrier Coat