Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Steering with sails only.

Author Steering with sails only.
Robert M. Rivera
Long Beach Ca 90803

Boat Name: Sabor del Mar

Model/Year: Catalina 22 2002

Hull No. CYYH5490H102

Hailing Port: Alamitos Bay, Long Beach CA
07/08/2008 9:13 AM Pacific Time

I have a Catalina 22 with a wing keel, when I tie my tiller to the center trying to emulate a lost or damaged rudder I find that I can't steer my boat like U.S. sailing book "Sailing Fundamentals" says that I should be able to do. Any suggestions?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/09/2008 5:13 AM Pacific Time

Hi Robert,

I think this means that your rig is out of tune. Do you have weather or lee helm? If not, it may be a question of the wing, but I don't know why. You should have no pressure on the tiller (or very slight weather helm) when your sails are properly trimmed. Then letting off or oversheeting on the sails (one at a time) should pivot the boat on her center of gravity.

We have lost the rudder when pintles failed and been able to sail a swing keel to the wind and close reaching using the sails. It took two of us, one on main and one on jib, to do it. We also found that we needed to have the motor dragging in the water since the rudder was off so that we did not just spin in circles. Couldn't use the motor because it was slipping off the new motor mount at the time.

what happened when you changed the sheeting when you experimented?

Tom
Quixotic, 7555
Chesapeake
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/09/2008 5:41 AM Pacific Time

I haven't tried it with a C22 but early in my sailing 18' boats (similar to a Geary 18) at the U of Washington, a student sailor brought the tiller/rudder off the boat and accidently pushed the boat off the sloping wood ramp as he stepped off the bow. The boat turned around as was floating away as I came down the ramp I ran and belly flopped on the transom. It took me a while but I was able to bring the boat back up wind to the dock/ramp. Since I have had beginners steer the boat with the tiller dragging, not tied off; that may be your problem because the rudder is a real stabilizer. Try just letting it flop around so as to not influence the heading.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Robert M. Rivera
Long Beach Ca 90803

Boat Name: Sabor del Mar

Model/Year: Catalina 22 2002

Hull No. CYYH5490H102

Hailing Port: Alamitos Bay, Long Beach CA
07/09/2008 2:39 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for your input Tom & Al, I will try to implement your suggestions.
Rob
PS I'll get back to you with any good results.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/13/2008 7:38 PM Pacific Time

In addition to the trim of the sails, the placement of weight will affect the boat turning right or left. Of course the location of your body fore/aft, starboard/port would have to be worked out with your C22 based on weight placement, and this takes lots of practice. When I took my US Sailing Instructor Certification test, the rudder/tiller was removed from the FJ and we had to steer with sails and weight trim. Smaller boats react much faster than a fat C22 and it was tough, even for those who have practiced it a lot, but can be done.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
03/17/2010 8:40 PM Pacific Time

I have tried this same practice with my 22. I have found as I learn to tune my sails better I can steer with my sails much easier. Well, still not easy but better response, but I still from time to time will have to grab the tiller to keep from an accidental jibe. Also, I still know my tensions are not set right, so I think when I learn what the correct tension is and have a gage to check it the boat should be more responsive.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Steering with sails only.