Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Looking for a good mainsheet system . . .any suggestions?

Author Looking for a good mainsheet system . . .any suggestions?
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/07/2008 7:44 PM Pacific Time

I recently bought an '83 Catalina 22. The only thing that the previous owner didn't have was a mainsheet system. The traveler car is on the stern rail, but empty. The boom is empty as well. I'm used to sailing Flying Scotts and Marshal Catboats where the mainsheet rope is cleated from the middle of the cockpit on the deck. I'm looking for a system that isn't radially different from what I'm used to. I'm thinking about the double ended mainsheet (part # D1905)???
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
08/08/2008 7:16 AM Pacific Time

The boat came with a 3:1 set up from the travler to the end boom. it works. what seems to be the up grade is what you are looking at with mid boom sheeting.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/08/2008 7:20 PM Pacific Time

Bill: the easiest is to replicate the original but it has its drawbacks. Requires a fiddle block with cleat and a single block with becket to get the 3:1. The cleat is on the bottom end by the traveler car and is sometimes hard to get used to, especially if you are used to Scots.
Many of the serious racers use a short post mounted in the middle of the cockpit floor with a Harken swivel cleat and ratchet block. The fiddle is replaced with the single w/ becket on the traveler car, a double at the boom end that leads the mainsheet forward to the "mid-boom" location and then a single block to lead it down to the ratchet block and cleat on the post in the floor. This might be more along the lines of what you are used to.
Im sure it is in the Tech Manual somewhere.

Mike
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/08/2008 10:14 PM Pacific Time

A lot depends on what kind of sailing you do. Casual day sailing in mild conditions then the 3-1 standard C22 setup would be fine. Sailing heavy winds like SF Bay or the Great Lakes you maybe should want a better system. The head knocker system CD sells is what I have. I have been tempted to go with a Barney Post type setup but the CD system has been very flexible for me. In heavy air I rig the head knocker and let my crew do the sheeting. No crew and racing, I still rig it as a backup, especially for going downwind when I move as far forward as possible. Just following the wind, on a lazy day of sailing I can or cannot rig the head knocker. I like to go on the C22 Natl. sight and look at the pictures of how people rig their mainsheets. Some are simple and some are more advanced and expensive. It's your choice based on the kind of sailing you're going to do.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/08/2008 10:14 PM Pacific Time

A lot depends on what kind of sailing you do. Casual day sailing in mild conditions then the 3-1 standard C22 setup would be fine. Sailing heavy winds like SF Bay or the Great Lakes you maybe should want a better system. The head knocker system CD sells is what I have. I have been tempted to go with a Barney Post type setup but the CD system has been very flexible for me. In heavy air I rig the head knocker and let my crew do the sheeting. No crew and racing, I still rig it as a backup, especially for going downwind when I move as far forward as possible. Just following the wind, on a lazy day of sailing I can or cannot rig the head knocker. I like to go on the C22 Natl. sight and look at the pictures of how people rig their mainsheets. Some are simple and some are more advanced and expensive. It's your choice based on the kind of sailing you're going to do.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/09/2008 12:21 AM Pacific Time

It would be a better racing class if the mainsheet system was specified. As it is one racer takes advantage of a standard rigged boat with a revised system. Also, there is no standard the jib sheet system, and it has been changed to use inboard tacks and cross sheeting. The outhaul system is not kept standard, nor the traveler. But until a year or so ago you must have all the cushions on board and it is still a rule that you cannot have more than one of each of the headsails on board. They actually disqualified Jim Cronkite once because he changed headsails between races, to try out another sail. But you can have a lot of non-standard help in sheeting arrangements, including adding Barney Posts, and windows in the mainsail, if you can afford it, but don't go without your cushions or have an extra sail on board.
And while I'm at it, if you win a trohpy in the Silver Fleet you must move up to the Gold Fleet, but then you can stay there and continue to dominate Nationals for years without having to move up to a Platinum fleet. That is why I no longer join the associaton, I had no chance of winning in the Gold fleet.
Al Ge
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/09/2008 5:11 AM Pacific Time

Thanks all - I'm picked up the necessary items to replicate the standard 3:1 set up. No racing for me - just casual putting around the Mass. south shore. I guess it will take some getting used to having the mainsheet so far back, but I'll give this a shot before I look into the double ended set up. Thanks!

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Looking for a good mainsheet system . . .any suggestions?