Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Dumb question but need to make sure . . .

Author Dumb question but need to make sure . . .
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/14/2008 5:40 AM Pacific Time

I think I already know the answer, but is it possible to raise the mast and rigging, then trailer the boat the ramp (ie. drive with the mast up). Assuming the ramp is 1 mile from the house and there are no low hanging trees, etc.??
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/14/2008 10:40 AM Pacific Time

That should be fine assuming you don't hit any pot holes, etc. Hard jolts are going to stress the rigging more than heavy air sailing, I would think. Watch out for mast eating trees, too!

David
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
08/14/2008 12:07 PM Pacific Time

Good point about the stresses. That's a lot of mass and leverage swinging around up there and it could be stressful on the rig/deck in terms of shock loading. I wouldn't be surprised if the eye bolts ripped out of the deck if you hit a bump in the road wrong or had to slam on the brakes to avoid another vehicle. The stainless steel in the shroud cables and fittings could also suffer unseen damage that could hasten failure while sailing.

Don't forget overhead power lines!

I did some damage a while back at a boat ramp that had trees overhanging the wash down station. Repairable, but scary. Since then, I have been very wary when moving the boat with the mast up and would not go any farther than I had to.

If you're on a public road, you may want to verify the laws about towing a boat with the mast up.

I don't know any of the details about your situation: it may be perfectly safe (no conflict with the law, smooth road, no overhead obstructions, light traffic, low speed, etc.), but from where I'm sitting, it seems risky.
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/15/2008 4:30 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for reinforcing what I thought was the answer. Here in Plymouth Mass, the area around the boat ramp gets crowded and hectic, so I thought setting up before hand would be better - but not at the expense of losing something to a pothole - which we have plenty of here in New England.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/25/2008 5:04 PM Pacific Time

And be sure not to try inserting the mast into the step and not raising it, then driving off to the ramp. I saw a guy who did that and ripped a 3 foot diameter out of the top of the cabin and lost the mast overboard as it broke free.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Dumb question but need to make sure . . .