The Unifoil Kick-up Rudder is the most advanced rudder of it's kind in the world. The all-stainless electropolished rudderhead is immensely strong and torsionally rigid, with perfect balance and feedback for the helmsman. The Unifoil kick-up rudder also features our "one-line" uphaul/downhaul system which will raise or lower the rudder with one pull. The Patent-Pending design incorporates a 316 Stainless nitrogen charged gas strut for perfect blade control in all situations. The rudder stays down, but if an obstacle is encountered the gas strut allows the rudder to come up quickly, then reset itself to the fully down position
The HDPE kick-up rudder blade is machined by a computer controlled milling machine from a single block. There is no fiberglass blade to split, chip or crack, and no wood or foam core to absorb water..
It is a true NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) 0012 airfoil design, offering maximum lift with minimum drag. Its balanced design reduces load on the tiller
. You will experience both increased pointing ability and low speed maneuverability. You'll look forward to sailing closer to weather with reduced helm effort. This blade also rotates through a full 180 degrees for launching and mooring with ease. Beaching is now a joy instead of a chore. And no more dragging the rudder on the launch ramp!
HDPE rudders are so robust that we can avoid the plywood packaging necessary when fiberglass rudders are shipped via UPS. This saves you a $50.00 packaging charge.
• LOA : 64"
• Blade length: 48" (10" in the head)
• Blade thickness: 1-1/4"
• Chord: 10-1/2"
• Tiller length: 36"
• Pintle diameter: 3/8" or 1/2". Select the appropriate size on the drop-down menu above.
• HDPE rudder blade
• All stainless steel rudder head assembly
• African mahogany and ash tiller
• Tiller to rudder stainless steel connecting straps
1) Since these rudders are not original equipment and are a more advanced shape, they are not legal for class racing. This relieves us from having to duplicate the old rudder shape. Instead we can offer an improved shape which is a NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) 0012 airfoil. This airfoil is considered by many sailboat designers to be the ideal combination of maximum lift with minimal drag.
2) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
3) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
4) When you order this special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time!
Caution: Never leave any rudder sitting in the sun in the back of your pickup. With half the rudder immersed while moored, water will dissipate any heat buildup. But while stored, heat may damage the rudder. A Fiberglass rudder may expand and split at the seams. A polyethylene rudder may warp. Always store your rudder out of the direct sun.