D shackles are optimized for two directions of pull, which makes them great for connecting pieces of gear together (such as your pulleys to the rigging plate, or your rope to the becket of your pulleys). These types of shackles are not good for situations where there are more than two directions of loads because of their geometry. The angled loads place a great deal of stress on the bolt-side of the shackle and can cause premature failure.
Specifications for this Shackle #Z4701:
• Nominal size: 5/16"
• Pin diameter (A): 8 mm / 0.315"
• Outside length (B): 47 mm / 1.841"
• Inside length (C): 28 mm / 1.132"
• Inside width (D): 16 mm / 0.678"
• Breaking load: 3,500 kg / 7,716 lbs
• Safety wire hole: Yes
• Construction: Forged
• Threads: Rolled
• Captive pin: No
• Material: Type 316 stainless steel