This internal outhaul increases the factory supplied 2:1 internal outhaul purchase to a more useful 8:1 to better adjust the depth of the draft of the mains'l for the Catalina 250 or Catalina 27. It uses the original cleat, cleat location and the pin for the standing part of the purchase but substitutes additional Harken blocks inside the boom to create more mechanical advantage. I have installed this system on my boat. It is a pleasure to have the outhaul work so effortlessly.
The photo above shows the layout of the blocks to illustrate how the system works, but all of these components are installed inside the boom. The forward block is secured
to the original pin already located 28" forward of the aft end of the boom. According to Catalina Yachts, the Catalina 250 and the Catalina 27 used the same extrusion and part location for years. Only the total length differed with the Catalina 250 boom being a bit longer. We have supplied plenty of line to accommodate either boom.
• Diameter: 1/4"
• Length: 22'
• Construction: Double braid continuous strand line without mill splices (see "Technical Support" below for the full story)
• Fiber: Dacron Polyester cover, w/ Polyester core
• Stretch: Very low stretch
• Color: White
1) This outhaul fits only the original equipment booms originally equipped with an internal outhaul. This boom has a tab extruded along the bottom of the boom when it was manufactured as shown in the above photo.
2) The length of the wires are based on the available factory drawings illustrating the length of the boom, the length of the foot of the mains'l and the position of the pin supplied in your boom. If any of these dimensions differ on your boat, you may have to change the position of the pin by drilling two new holes in the new location.
3) The length of this item is based on the original factory specifications. However, the previous owner, like Captain Jack Sparrow, may have had an entirely different idea about how to rig a boat! Please confirm this is the correct length for your particular boat. We cut it from a long length and can't splice it back together again. Your order cannot be canceled, returned or exchanged, but, like Jack, you may have a different idea of what you can use it for!