Our internal ? for the Catalina 28 with internal reefing increases the factory supplied 3:1 internal outhaul purchase to a more useful 10:1 mechanical advantage. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to trim the outhaul for better control of the depth of the ? for your mains'l!
We use the original cleat, cleat location, and single sheaves in each of the ? and boom end castings. We substitute ball bearing Harken blocks and create a simple cascade purchase inside the boom in place of the two original single blocks to create more purchase.
The photo above shows the layout of the blocks to illustrate how the system works, but all of these components are installed inside the boom. The forward block is shackled around the bushing in the forward internal reefing sheave box with a longer D shackle which is provided with the kit. Another special wide D shackle is provided and replaces the forward outhaul sheave clevis pin in the gooseneck casting and is where the fixed end of the wire is attached.
The block in the bottom left hand corner of the photo is swaged to the actual outhaul wire. That wire continues aft then exits the boom as usual through your existing sheave in the boom end casting.
• Diameter: 1/4"
• Line length: 35'
• Primary 2:1 wire length: 10'
• Secondary wire length: 5'
• Construction: Double braid continuous strand line without mill splices (see "Technical Support" below for the full story)
• Fiber: Dacron Polyester cover, w/ Polyester core
• Stretch: Very low stretch
• Color: White with red marker
1) Neither the gooseneck casting or the boom end casting are included in the kit. We also assume your cleat and two original sheaves are in good condition and can be reused. If any of these parts are in need of replacement, you must order them separately.
2) Click on the photo thumbnails below for more information.
3) The length of this item is based on the original factory specifications. However, the previous owner, like Captain Jack Sparrow, may have had an entirely different idea about how to rig a boat! Please confirm this is the correct length for your particular boat. We cut it from a long length and can't splice it back together again. Your order cannot be canceled, returned or exchanged, but, like Jack, you may have a different idea of what you can use it for!