Prop Strut with Cutlass Bearing for the Capri-26, Catalina 27, Catalina 270, Catalina 28, and Catalina 30.
An earlier version of this same strut was used on both diesel and early gas engine installations. The strut was installed from the top, dropped through a slot in the hull, then fiberglassed in place. There were no bolt holes in the early strut, only a rectangular flange with rounded ends. If you have the earlier style strut, see our part Z3647 below in "May we also suggest"
This later strut is through bolted into a molded recess in the hull. The nuts are installed above the hull, inside the boat. The area around the mounting flange is then filled and faired from outside the hull.
To retrofit this strut to an earlier boat:
This strut can be fiberglassed in from above to replace the strut on an earlier boat. The basic shape of both the old and new struts are the same. But as you can see in the photo, the top flange of the currently available strut is rectangular with square corners. Retrofits from above into an older boat will require grinding from inside of the boat to both remove the old strut and to accommodate the rectangular shape of the top flange.
• Flange at the top of the strut:
Fore and aft: about 4"
Port to starboard: about 4-1/4"
• Top of flange to centerline of prop shaft (measured along the strut)
Forward: about 7-5/8"
Aft: about 8-5/8"
• Four square mounting holes for 3/8" carriage bolts
1) It has come to our attention that the mounting hole pattern in prop struts has varied over time. This strut can be supplied with or without holes. Those that we stock have the square holes. If you want one without holes drilled, we can get one, but it will have to be made from scratch and will have a long lead time. We have found that most match the standard hole pattern or owners will fill and re-drill the holes through the hull as needed to get their boats back in the water as quickly as possible. We cannot custom match the holes in the strut to match your existing holes in the boat.
2) Our stock struts are pre drilled with square holes to facilitate the use of carriage bolts with the head of the bolt on the outside of the hull.
3) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.