Replacement smoked acrylic lens only for your existing Bomar NIBO aluminum framed trapezoidal hatch.
Bomar builds haches with both 1/4" and 3/8" thick lenses. The frame of the lid surrounding the lens differs to accommodate the lens thickness. Many early boats were built with hatches that used 1/4" thick lenses. These have proven to be subject to failure when the crew stands on a hatch weakened by age.
We know that Catalina Yachts purchased hatches of both types, but no record exists indicating which hatch was used on which boat. And you can't tell which you have until you start disassembling the hatch.
Catalina Direct has solved both strength and fit issues with one custom made replacement lens. Our 3/8" thick lens is beveled at the top outside edge to fit properly into a frame designed for 1/4" thick polycarbonate. And it benefits from the strength provided by 3/8" material. If you disassemble your hatch and discover Catalina used a hatch with a 3/8" thick lens on your boat, simply turn our lens over. The outside dimensions are the same regardless of lens thickness. The small void left by the bevel at the bottom corner will fill with sealant. The width of the frame flange will support the lens properly and the top of the lens will fit flush with the top of the frame. As an added bonus, Catalina Direct's custom upgrade costs less than Bomar's 1/4" lens!
Please inspect the gasket currently on your forward hatch. It may need to be replaced. See gasket suggested below.
Known usage for this lens with holes for dogs on 17" centers:
We believe this wide hole center spacing was used on early boats that didn't typically have hatch adjusters. Customers with boats built from 1986 through early 1989 report these are the correct lenses. Later boats used lenses with holes for dogs that are placed closer together.
• Capri 26
• Catalina 22: Second generation starting with hull #14195 in 1987
• Catalina 25
• Catalina 27
• Catalina 270
• Catalina 28
• Catalina 30
• Catalina 320
• Catalina 34
• Catalina 36.
It is also possible that not every boat described above used this hatch. Please use the dimensions above and the photos below to verify which hatch is actually installed on your boat.
• Outside of deck flange: 27" x 20-7/8" x 22-1/8" (about 686mm x 530mm x 559mm)
• Outside of lid: 27-5/8" x 21-11/16" (about 702mm x 551mm)
• Hatch Opening: 24-1/4" x 18-1/4" (about 616mm x 460mm)
• Cut out in the deck: 25-3/8" x 19-1/4" (about 645mm x 489mm)
• Height off of deck: 15/16" (about 24mm)
• Width across top: 25-1/8"
• Width across the bottom: 20"
• Fore and aft: 19-1/8"
• Thickness: 3/8"
• Handle holes center to center: 17"
Given the lack of accurate records regarding the exact dates the decks were changed, it is strongly advised you measure your existing hatch glazing before ordering
1) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
2) The hatch dog hole spacing was changed in the 1990s. Please verify your old hatch dog hole spacing is 17" center to center if you are ordering this lens. If your hole spacing is closer to 16-1/4" center to center for the hatch dogs, see part #Z3769 listed below.