Our Catalina 34 and Catalina 36 rudder's balanced shape moves the center of effort of the rudder forward for a lighter helm. This rudder offers a vastly improved shape you can see when compared to the original Catalina 34 and 36 rudder's. It is an NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) 0012 airfoil considered by many sailboat designers to be the ideal combination of maximum lift with minimal drag.
Owners typically experience much lighter tiller
effort, crisper tacking
and improved pointing as a result of the improved airfoil section. You will experience better slow speed maneuverability while docking as well.
An optional double walled rudder post is available for this rudder. Compared to the typical original equipment rudder or the standard version of this rudder, it increases the strength by adding a second stainless steel tube inside of the standard tube. If you would like to explore this upgrade, please call our sales staff for assistance. Ask for part #Z3027.These improved rudders are so robust that we can have them shipped without extra packaging. This results in a saving of around $100 at the time of this writing. There is also a manufacturer's lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
• Height at the trailing edge: 46" to match the original factory rudder (you may increase this dimension to 48" if you desire)
• Chord length: 24"
• Thickness: 4"
• Rudder post diameter: 2.860"
• Skeg notch height: 8.5"
1) This rudder is not the original factory rudder. Don't expect it to look like the original factory rudder. This rudder is not only made from a different material, but is also a different shape. The manufacturer of this rudder approached the design with a clean slate and created a rudder with optimal performance and a true NACA airfoil. The dimensions of this rudder will differ from your original rudder. It is the buyer's responsibility to decide if this rudder is appropriate for his of her boat and use.
2) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
3) The boat yard will need to drill for any through bolts including those for the tiller head and / or the steering quadrant in order to achieve a perfect match with your existing hardware. Water drain channels are pre-drilled.
4) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
5) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!