Engine shut off stop cable. 15' long with "T" handle. Solid stainless steel core slides within an inner liner, surrounded by a conduit in a long lay pattern of oil tempered wires, and encased with an outer jacket. Can be trimmed to appropriate length for any Catalina except the C-250 and C-30 which require 20' cables (see item below under "may we suggest").
• Stainless steel solid core, 0.075" diameter, 145# test strength
• Inner liner of specially processed polymers to reduce friction
• Conduit in a long lay pattern of 16 0.032" diameter oil tempered wires
• Outer nonmetallic liner for smooth operation.
• Length of metal section, near handle: 4-1/2"
Handle end of assembly secures to the boat or engine control panel with two nuts, one on the inside and one on the outside of the fiberglass. The nuts thread onto a male thread on the outside diameter of the tubular housing.
Will work on many diesel engines. Measure your boat to confirm proper length.
Engine Shut Off Cables are not produced in one foot increments. You must purchase a length longer than you require and then trim as necessary. We have 15' and 20' cables in stock.
To trim your Engine Shut Off Cable to length:
1) Loosen the two nuts on the hub and lay the cable out straight.
2) Pull the handle and expose a few feet more of the core than you intend to cut off the entire cable. If cutting a 20' cable to 16' application, pull out 7' to 8' of core, the 4' you intend to cut off plus an additional 3' to 4'. Failure to pull out the core before cutting may result in a core that could be too short. Do not pull the entire core out of the conduit.
3) Mark the conduit at the intended length.
4) The lay lines within the conduit are hardened steel and cannot be hacksawed or easily cut. Use a grinder or rotary tool (such as a Dremel tool) with an abrasive attachment to grind the conduit. Use a bucket of water to dip the conduit in every few seconds of grinding to avoid excessive heat and melting of the plastic component.
5) Remove any melted plastic from the conduit.
6) During the period you have been trimming the engine end of the cable, there have been a few feet of exposed core at the handle end that may have gotten dirty. Wipe the exposed core to remove any dirt or debris before pushing back into the conduit.
7) Using a diagonal cutter or strong cutting pliers, cut the core to the required length.
8) Install the cable that is now the appropriate length for your application and sail away!