The friction lever's internal spring helps to counterbalance the weight of the hatch lid. The friction it provides adds some stability to the lit when the hatch is open. The friction is adjustable by way of the allen head fastener on the axis of the pivot. The spring tension is not adjustable.
• Lewmar Low Profile hatches only
• Low profile hatches are 25mm ( ~ 1") high off of the deck
• Low Profile hatches were manufactured by Lewmar beginning in 1998.
Over time the friction lever may loose it's ability to hold the lid due to a combination fatigue of the spring and wear to the friction surfaces.
• Catalina 310
• Catalina 315
• Catalina 320
• Catalina 34
• Catalina 350
• Catalina 355
• Catalina 36
• Catalina 375
• Catalina 380
• Catalina 385
• Catalina 387
• Catalina 390
• Catalina 400
• Catalina 42
• Catalina 445
• Catalina 470
1) Lewmar produced the MkI version of their Low Profile hatch beginning sometime in 1998. MkII Lewmar Hatches were produced beginning sometime between July and December of 2000.
2) The production dates quoted for this item are the approximate dates the hatches were produced by Lewmar in the UK. This does not guarantee these were the dates Catalina started installing this version of the hatch during boat production. An earlier hatch design that was already in Catalina's inventory may have been installed on boats built well after production of a later hatch design began in the UK. We have discovered boats built in 2003 equipped with the MkI version of a hatch.
3) This part does not fit the earlier Lewmar Coastline hatches built before 1999
4) Earlier "Coastline" hatches look very similar but have lenses that cannot be replaced by the owner. The Coastline hatch is characterized by a lens that is bonded to the aluminum frame of the lid. It is also lacking the two piece lid frame of the later Low Profile hatches. This split frame has a seam forward and a seam aft where the two halves split. This split feature is what makes it possible to replace the lens and seal in the newer Low Profile hatches. Lewmar Size 40 Low Profile Lewmar Size 44 Low Profile