Brake knob and shaft assembly for pedestals with tapered shafts which were used by Catalina starting around 2001. Verify that the part is correct for your pedestal if the boat production date is close to then as there may have been left over stock of pedestals with straight shafts.
To easily identify which pedestal you have, if your wheel brake is this knob in the center of your wheel, you have a tapered shaft. If your wheel is held on by a polished stainless steel hex nut and your wheel brake is located on the starboard side of the pedestal itself, you have a straight shaft.
• Knob, outside diameter: 2-1/2"
• Stem length and overall stem and thread length: Select from drop down menu above
• Shaft diameter: 1/4"
• Thread type x length: 3/8"-16 x 1" long
Unassembled, the stem is ~1/2" greater in length. Approximately 1/2" of the stem is hammered into the threaded portion and then the threaded portion is welded into the knob underside. We use the assembled length, see the three options for measuring below:
1) When measuring for stem length (using an assembled knob, thread, and stem) start from the end of the threads and measure along the shaft to the end of the stem. This is the stem length.
2) The overall length includes the threaded portion which is usually 1" in length. Measure from the beginning of the threads to the end of the stem (using an assembled knob, thread, and stem). This is the overall length.
3) When there is no wheel brake available to measure, then measure using a caliper's depth measurement. Slide the depth measurement device into the hole for the stem until it reaches the pin (you will feel the stop). Note the length visible just outside the wheels hub. Assuming an Edson Marine Destroyer Wheel is installed, this is the stem length.
1) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
2) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this special order item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
3) When you order a special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time! C-445