This ball bearing traveler replaces your original, Nicro "X" beam traveler and track. Unfortunately, the hard rubber rollers on the original traveler were never up to the task of supporting the load generated by the Catalina 36 mains'l.
The 8" long car uses four bearing races. Two races below the track contain 240 high load 1/4" Torlon bearings to support the car when under load. Two more races with 240 Delrin bearings above the track support the weight of the car when it's not under load. These recirculating ball bearings both above and below the track support the load on the traveler car without binding. Control lines and cleats provide the 5:1 mechanical advantage necessary to easily bring the car to weather. Control line sheaves are a ball bearing design for reduced friction. Even under high mainsheet
. loads, one can trim the traveler car with ease.
The kit includes track, car, control blocks, and line.If your boat is equipped with a dodger:
Request a "dodger conversion" for the traveler at no extra charge. It replaces the cam cleat with a vertical sheave to turn the traveler control lines down toward the deck. Use optional halyard lift turning blocks (see #Z2223 below under "May we also suggest") to lead the line aft and under the dodger.
1) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
2) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
3) In 1987 the Catalina 36 was built with fiberglass risers as a integral part of the deck. Early versions of this boat used the old NICRO "X" shaped traveler mounted on another "U" shaped channel for additional support. The NICRO traveler was not strong enough to span the distance between the two risers without additional support. Our replacement traveler has a stronger track and does not need the "U" channel.
4) This custom made part is not returnable. Other versions fitting different risers are available upon request. Be certain of the year of your boat and that you don't have a curved traveler track and angled molded in fiberglass risers before ordering. For C-36's built before 1987 with air vents in front of traveler, curved track, and angled molded in fiberglass risers, see A8264 with internal sheaves for use when air vents are present and A8262 with top controls for use without air vents.
5) Indexing available upon request for a small fee, your traveler bar required to be shipped to us for duplication.
6) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!