This stuffing box is the fitting which is glassed to the top of the fiberglass rudder tube. It is installed on a wheel steering equipped Catalina to prevent water from entering the boat through the rudder tube. Note the packing inside the fitting. Packing is 3/8" waxed flax.
The Catalina 34, Catalina 36, Catalina 38 and C-42 rudder posts have a nominal diameter of 2.860". We must have a measurement with a digital caliper from your rudder as there is variation from boat to boat.
1) CAUTION: All sales of this custom machined part are final. This part must be machined to fit the diameter of your boats individual rudder post. The order may not be canceled or returned after being accepted by Catalina Direct. Place your measurements (to the nearest .001 inch) in the additional comments field at checkout.
2) This part was only used on Catalina 42's built in California before early 1999. Later 42's used a different bearing assembly that does not require a separate bronze stuffing box.
3) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
4) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this special order item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
5) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!