The friction lever's internal spring helps to counterbalance the weight of the hatch lid. The friction it provides adds some stability to the lid when the hatch is open. The friction is adjustable by way of the allen head fastener on the axis of the pivot. The spring tension is not adjustable.
Over time the friction lever may loose it's ability to hold the lid due to a combination fatigue of the spring and wear to the friction surfaces. This kit addresses this issue.
• Fits only these two small Lewmar Coastline hatches with these overall dimensions (measured on the outside of the boat):
330mm x 330mm ( ~ 13" x 13")
272mm x 417mm ( ~ 10-3/4" x 16-7/16")
246mm x 301mm ( ~ 9-11/16" x 11-7/8")
• Coastline hatches are 20.5mm ( ~ 13/16") high off of the deck
• Coastline hatches were manufactured by Lewmar from 1991 through 1999.
• Coastline small friction levers have a center to center for fasteners through lens of ~29mm (~1-1/8").
• Catalina 28 (2)
• Catalina 34 (2)
• Catalina 36 (2 + 2)
• Catalina 42 (2 + 2)
There may be other instances where this was used. It is also the case that not every boat described above used these. Please verify that your boat used a Lewmar Coastline series hatch matching the dimensions above.
1) The production dates quoted for this item are the approximate dates the hatches were produced by Lewmar in the UK. This does not guarantee these were the dates Catalina started installing this version of the hatch during boat production. An earlier hatch design that was already in Catalina's inventory may have been installed on boats built well after production of a later hatch design began in the UK.
2) This part only fits the Lewmar Coastline hatches built between 1991 and 1999.
3) Earlier "Coastline" hatches look very similar to Low Profile hatches but have lenses that cannot be replaced by the owner. The Coastline hatch is characterized by a lens that is bonded to the aluminum frame of the lid. It is also lacking the two piece lid frame of the later Low Profile hatches. This split frame has a seam forward and a seam aft where the two halves split. This split feature is what makes it possible to replace the lens and seal in the newer Low Profile hatches.
Lewmar Size 3 Coastline, Lewmar Size 10 Coastline,Lewmar Size 20 Coastline