Replacement for Catalinas equipped with Edson wheel steering using the typical pull-pull system and a "Radial Drive" steering quadrant.
The adjustable crossed wire idler leads your steering cable from its vertical run within your pedestal to a horizontal run under the cockpit, then aft to the radial drive wheel on the rudder shaft.
The original cross wire idler assembly was fabricated from mild steel. It was attached to the aluminum pedestal with aluminum mounting bolts.
If the sealant at the base of the pedestal fails, moisture following the mounting bolts through the deck will promote rust and corrosion of the mild steel plate. Edson tried several coatings over the years to address these issues. Eventually, in 2004 a complete redesign was accomplished.
The redesigned part's aluminum frame is compatible with the other aluminum components and avoids any galvanic corrosion. If your boat is newer than 2004, you should already have the aluminum part.
• Hardcoat anodized aluminum base plate
• Stainless steel sheave brackets
• Hardcoat black anodized aluminum sheaves w/ bronze bushings
This part fits the boats listed below that used the old mild steel bracket:
• Catalina 27 (when equipped with an inboard engine)
• Catalina 270
• Catalina 30 built before hull #4726 in September 1986 when steering was an aftermarket retrofit
• Catalina 310
• Catalina 320
• Catalina 34
• Catalina 36
• Catalina 38 (early Sparkman & Stephens design)
• Catalina 380
• Sheave diameter: 4"
• Base: 8-3/8" x 7-3/4"
• Clearance required, mounting surface to bottom of sheave bracket: 6"
• Fastener spacing: 6-1/16"
• Rigging pins (double hole): 3/8" x 1-5/16" grip x 1-3/4" LOA
1) If your boat was built in 2004, it is best to check to discover which idler assembly you have. Although the new part was introduced by Edson in 2004, there may have been inventory still on the shelf at Catalina that had the earlier mild steel idler.
2) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.