Proper ventilation is imperative to prevent a buildup of moisture that will promote the growth of mold and mildew winter or summer. Damage to interior fabrics and electronics as well as the unpleasant odors of a musty boat are eliminated with proper ventilation.
We actually don't prefer this particular vent. Probably due to lower production volumes, this 3" vent is about the same price of our preferred 4" vent even though it moves 40% less air! The outside diameter is the same too. There are only two advantages I can think of:
• If you have one of the original 3" NICRO snap in vents, just remove the old deck ring exposing the original 3-3/4" diameter hole. This vent drops right in.
• If there is obstruction inside the boat (perhaps the original vent was smack up against an interior bulkhead, for example) then it may simply be too much trouble to install the 4" vent.
Especially important on smaller boats where space is at a premium, our low profile vent is unobtrusive on deck as it sits only 2-3/8" high. A fan moves 600 cubic feet of air per hour. The solar cell runs the fan and charges a built in battery. The fan will continue to run for up to 24 hours during nights or bad weather when the sun is not available.
Features a selector switch to change fan direction. You can switch from an exhaust vent to an inlet vent, or set it on charge mode. A removable insect screen is also included. The newer design also includes a small LED light that can be switch on and off as well.
Fits a standard 3" vent hole cutout in the deck which makes it compatible with Nicro vents built in the past. Outside diameter is 10". Stainless steel cover.
• 10" overall diameter
• Fits 3-3/4" diameter cutout used for original 3" NICRO snap in vents
• Net Inside Diameter: ~3"
• Depth below mounting surface: about 2-5/8" (consideration if contemplating mounting in a hatch lens)
• Moves 600 cubic feet per hour
• Stainless steel cover
• No external power or wiring required
• Rechargeable NiMH battery
• Interior trim ring hides the edge of the hole through the deck (can use only the top trim ring to mount through a hatch lens)
• Bug screen included
• Two year warranty
There is a plastic version of this vent available for about $20.00 less but we don't carry it. In our experience the white plastic housing yellows when exposed to UV light. In a year or two the vent looks old and funky. The stainless shroud on our vent covers the plastic housing and still looks new for years.